Diving 38s - the Trifecta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out to the local quarry today for some diving. It was 38 degrees air temp, 38 degrees water temp, and 38 inches of visibility. A trifecta of diving bliss. Not! LOL

My initial plan to was sort out a tail weight for my rig with my new-to-me Oxycheq 55 wing on the first dive. Then do a second dive to swim over to a boat on the bottom and take some pictures using the wide angle wet lens I got for Christmas. While setting up for the first dive, I realized I could not actually fit my tail weight down into the V between my tanks, so I couldn't get my back plate on with the tail weight in place. I knew from yesterday in the pool that I needed a tail weight or this wing was going to have me constantly doing a nose dive. So, I gave up on the new wing and fell back to Old Blue, my Dive Rite Rec EXP, which does not need a tail weight for me to have proper trim. In the pool, I was dry but not wearing warm undies, so I did not need or use the V weight I have and my trim was fine. For my last dip in the pool, I put on my undies and added my V-weight. That was when I found that it constantly wanted to tip me on my face. But, by then, my pool session time was up, so had to defer further refinement until today*.

I was with 2 buddies. We were all diving dry, with steel doubles. The first dive, we went out and down to the nearest training platform, at 30'. We got combobulated. Lights on. Everyone flow checked valves. That sort of thing. The viz at that point was about 5'. Then we descended under the platform, attempting to follow the anchor line down. By 40', I could not see the anchor line anymore, even using my light. I was still only about 3' from it. At 59', I could only see my Perdix if I held it up about 6" from my face. We had agreed that if we went down and couldn't see each other, we would just ascend back to the platform. At 59', I definitely could not see anyone else's lights, so I headed back up. I was quite pleased that I started right at the corner of the platform and I came back up right at the same corner. I was maybe 2' to the right of where I had started. I have been really working on trying not to have busy feet that run me all over the place, so I took that as a sign that I was reasonably successful in that.

Within 3 minutes of my arrival back at the platform, the other guys appeared. In the meantime, it seemed like clouds of silt were slowly billowing up from the bottom, so the viz at the platform dropped to about 3' by the time we were all back together. Once we re-grouped, we just swam a few laps around the platform, with the occasional stop to do a valve drill or just practice hovering. Finally, one of the guys was ready to pack it in and signaled to shoot bags. We had agreed we would all shoot bags at the end and simulate an ascent to 20', with a stop and gas switch. I stayed with one of the guys, but the 3rd guy managed to drift off into the pea soup while he was getting his bag out and inflated. We all surface within 10' of each other, but I couldn't see the 3rd guy until my head broke the surface.

That dive was enough for me. The other 2 had already done 1 dive before I got there, so they were good, too. We all packed up and headed home.

It was better than not diving. But not by much.... :)

*As I sit here typing this, I have realized how I should/could have attached the tail weight so that it would work and not be a problem with plate fitment. Oh, well. Next time.

Millbrook can be a soup. Lets go to Phoenix so that we can see things.

As my one buddy said after the dive, "that was a great training dive, huh?!" :rofl3:

I don't go there because it's fun. But, I really don't mind going there for practice. It does make pretty much every other place I've dived seem nice and easy by comparison.

Millbrook can be a soup. Lets go to Phoenix so that we can see things.

When I was at Phoenix in November, it was not THAT much better. Also, I talked to the guys at the afterwards and they said the viz was a lot better in other areas. They said it was mainly that area around the training platform that was so kicked up.

Like my days diving and teaching in the Long Island Sound, there are spots there where you couldn't see the light from your dive light. It felt like diving inside the muck.

Kinda like Dutch Springs for most of the summer last year...diving in pea soup.

What was the secret to attaching the tail weight? I usually just use shot instead of poured lead and smash it down to fit the shape between the tanks by tightening the bolts/pushing it down.

Mermet Springs supposedly had 15 ft viz this weekend, but it felt worse.

Stuart, Yeah, isn't stuff like that just FUN! I guess it's common for fresh water to go down to 38F in Jan., even in VA. I would assume the ocean out of Norfolk would be a better choice. I did the Deep course a decade ago in May in the ocean in NS at 35F or so (wet). That was SOME safety stop..... Here on the panhandle it's been 65F in the Gulf all Jan.--about 10F above normal. Haven't even used my farmer john bottoms yet.

Back
Top Bottom