Dives in Singapore or Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was my first LOB experience, and it's hard to imagine how it could have been better. I live in New England and was in Singapore for a week of business in March and wanted to stay an extra weekend for some diving. I was an OWD diver, I had 16 logged dives and wanted to include an AOWD course. I posted queries on this and another online discussion board and was referred by several folks to a LOB operation called White Manta Live Aboards (http://whitemanta.com/). They were right on the mark!

I contacted White Manta thru their website and Vincent, the owner, responded with some helpful suggestions. The website includes complete schedules for both of their boats (White Manta and Black Manta), and it turned out they had a 6-dive trip planned for the only weekend I could do, so right off the bat we were on the same page. I described my limited experience and said I'd be alone and asked about the AOWD course, and Vincent assured me I would fit right in and they could provide the course during the trip. I ended up communicating directly with Michael, who was to be my instructor, and he Fed Ex'd me the course book and said he wanted me to read it before the trip. I told Vincent I had a 6:00 AM flight out of Singapore on Monday so he said I would have to skip the last dive on Sunday, and I appreciated the early focus on safety. It sounded too cool, so I booked the trip.

We met at Keppel Marina in Singapore on Friday afternoon. As it turned out, both of their boats work out of Thailand for most the winter due to the monsoon, and White Manta was just returning to her seasonal base in Singapore that day. The boat was a couple of hours late, which wasn't a problem as everyone got to meet one another while we were waiting. Once the boat got there and the crew refueled & cleaned her up a bit, we boarded and were assigned to our air conditioned cabins (2 person and 4 person). Nothing luxurious (altho Black Manta is more so) but neat, clean and perfectly adequate for my taste. I was on the upper deck in an over/under bunk bed arrangement - the 3 heads (2 with showers) are on the main deck.

After dinner onboard at the marina we left for an overnight trip to Malaysia, and we woke up near the 1st dive site, Jack's Rock. I dove with Vincent and we did some of the AOWD course, then we explored the reefs around the rock. I found the viz at all 5 of the sites we dove to be OK (around 50 ft.), but less than I've seen in the Caribbean. On the other hand, there was 10 times more sea life in Malaysia, including more species of fin fish than I'd ever seen (including Yellow Tailed Grouper, Humphead Parrotfish, Triggerfish, tons of Barracuda, beaucoup varieties of Butterfly Fish and Angel Fish, etc.), hard and soft corals, and (small) giant clams. The water temps ranged from 82 - 86 F at all depths, which was awesome! Every once in a while we’d find ourselves in the midst of a huge school of incredibly colorful fish – it felt like I was swimming in an aquarium!

We had 3 dives during the day on Saturday, plus a night dive (my 1st!), and there were 2 dives on Sunday AM before we headed back to Singapore (an 8 hour trip). Surface intervals ranged from 1 hr. 40 min. to 3 hrs. 45 min. One of the DM’s gave an all-hands brief before each dive, complete with a hand-drawn diagram of the dive site on a white board. Safety was emphasized constantly, even though most of the divers on board were very experienced and had dived with White Manta before. The divers ranged in age from 10 (two 10 yr olds finished their Junior OWD certification on this trip) to a couple in (I’m guessing) their mid-70’s. The boat’s crew took care of filling our tanks between dives, and they were everywhere when we were gearing up for each dive, helping wherever needed. They were cheerful and helpful and were a lot of fun themselves.

Surface intervals were very relaxed and pleasant. Some people read or napped, but mostly everyone socialized on the upper deck and swapped stories of previous dives or whatever. Our group had folks from the USA, Austria, the UK, New Zealand, as well as various ethnic groups from Singapore. Being “unaccompanied” myself, I really appreciated the social atmosphere and camaraderie.

Food was varied and plentiful, and was included in the cost of the trip. The cook (I think she is Thai) kept bringing out platters of fruits, fried meats and other munchies on & off all day. Meals consisted of platter after platter of meats, poultry and shellfish (I had my 1st fried Stingray!) with all manner of veggies, noodles and/or rice. Soft drinks and beer were provided separately by the crew for short money.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say I was completely satisfied with my dive experience on White Manta. Vincent runs a top-notch operation with a clean, modern vessel, wonderful food, cheerful and helpful crew, DM’s and Instructors, and a constant focus on safety. I was so pleased that I’m actually going to schedule my next-year’s business trip to Singapore after White Manta’s return from the monsoon, and I’m already looking forward to another awesome weekend. Highly recommended, obviously!

Thanks for the detailed report, Bob. I didn't know the diving is so good (better than Caribbean) on that side of Malaysia (I know Sabah has great dive sites). I'll definitely check out White or Black Manta next time I'm home in Singapore.
Dive safely.

Good for you, Bob! I learned about White Manta the same time as you did, and was disappointed to learn there were no trips for the time in late June when I'm in Singapore (also on business, also alone, and just OWD with 10 dives). Well, I just looked at the website again, and it seems they've added a trip for when I can go. Hope I can get on it! Sounds great. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. Not to make you jealous (I know I am myself) but over the Easter weekend, the divers on the White Manta saw two small whale sharks at Malangbiru (3m & 5m). Of course, I was on the Black Manta at the time so I had to be content with some monster blotched rays on some wrecks a bit further south.

Thanks for the write-up Bob .... I love diving around Tioman Island.

:D

melinda Robins:
Good for you, Bob! I learned about White Manta the same time as you did, and was disappointed to learn there were no trips for the time in late June when I'm in Singapore (also on business, also alone, and just OWD with 10 dives). Well, I just looked at the website again, and it seems they've added a trip for when I can go. Hope I can get on it! Sounds great. Thanks for the report.

Melinda
If you cannot get on a Manta trip then it is quite easy to get to Tioman for a weekend / long weekend.
A coach from Singapore to Mersing takes about 3 hours acording to the schedule I found and leaves very early 6:40, this gets you there in time for a miday ferry transfer to tioman.

I would rent a car and drive up the evening before about 2 hours. Driving in malaysia is very civilised roads are quiet and in good condition, oh but they do drive on the left.
There are a number of decent hotels in Mersing to stop overnight and catch the first ferry out to Tioman in the morning.

If you can knock off early you might be able to make it up to Mersing to catch the last ferry (17:30) I think.

Me I would tell the office that you are unavoidably delayed and have to stay an extra week, :shakehead (!!screech!!) yes sorry but it's a bad line, have to go now, will contact you when I am back.
:rofl3:
Then spend a week on Tioman with your mobile switched off.

Another place in Redang is the Redang Kalong Resort (http://redangkalong.com/webtoolz2/article-10.html). Super nice staff, efficient dive shop, OK food but it's poorly managed and the rooms are horrendous. We pre-paid for six nights but checked out after just three. Couldn't take it anymore. The rooms were never cleaned and if you wanted clean towels, you had to give them yours so they could wash and return them to you. They had no spares to give you. Weird. Not only that but there were unwanted critters in the beds. Not so nice.

Drive on the left side of the road! I lived in Jamaica for two years and had a motorcycle, probably the easiest way to maneuver on the left. Trouble is, I kept on ending up on the right! I give up. But thanks for the other info!

recently met an couple of divers from colorado who couldn't keep to the left while riding a motorbike.... fortunately came away with only a few scrapes and bruises....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom