Dives in Lake Chickamauga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone dive in Lake Chickamauga near Chattanooga? Any interesting, or semi-intersting dive sites? Vis? My neighbor has a boat and claims he knows where a sunken cabin cruiser is that can be seen from the surface in relatively shallow water? Anyone ever dive on any sunken boats in there?

octotat:
Does anyone dive in Lake Chickamauga near Chattanooga? Any interesting, or semi-intersting dive sites? Vis? My neighbor has a boat and claims he knows where a sunken cabin cruiser is that can be seen from the surface in relatively shallow water? Anyone ever dive on any sunken boats in there?

Chickamauga Lake is very interesting to dive, but be very careful. The more interesting dive sites are also popular fishing areas. The town of Old Harrison is an interesting dive, but is also the only place I've ever gotten fouled in fishing line.

I'd personally recommend against diving near the locks or dam, either upstream or downstream. You would see 'interesting' things, but it's also more dangerous than I'm comfortable with.

Visibility is generally 10' or less, usually much less. It's river diving, so don't expect clear water. You'll want lights even during the day and don't do it if you're claustrophobic.

There are several modern wrecks and lots of remnants from the flooding including several areas where there are lots of holes in the bottom (exhumed graves) and buildings.

For more detail, get in touch with Choo Choo Dive and Aquatics or Leisure Time Dive Center. They'll have the scoop on dive details in the lake.

FWIW, my information is several years old on the lake itself, and there was a diver-fishing line fatality a couple of years ago. A good knife or EMT shears is absolutely necessary.

Tachyon

Back
Top Bottom