Dives and dive time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our guests hold at the very least recreational dive certifications. By coming out on our boat they are agreeing to dive our plan. One of the guides stays in the water at least until all divers are at the SS.

If the guide looks at your computer at the first dive SS and you have a "mandatory" stop showing, you will not be allowed to make a second dive. If after the first dive you climb back on board the boat with a beeping "error mode" computer, you will not be allowed to make a second dive. If those things happen on the second dive, you may not ever be allowed to dive with us again.

If you have booked 3 "trips" with us to get our multiple trip discount, you may lose the discount. If your next scheduled trip with us is the next day, you may be charged for the seat we are unable to fill at the last minute (24 hour cancellation policy). If my fins were hitting you on the "upkick" for the entirety of both dives, I might overrule the evidently malfunctioning computer.

Most of the time you preach that a certified diver should/must be capable of responsible diving without hand holding by a DM. Here you seem to be saying "deco happens." Since an Oceanic computer would likely allow more than 10 minutes longer at depth before a "mandatory" stop on our second dives, the use of Suunto's seems a valid contingency plan.

halemanō;5707431:
Most of the time you preach that a certified diver should/must be capable of responsible diving without hand holding by a DM. Here you seem to be saying "deco happens."

I am saying "emergencies happen". IMHO, the value of spending 1 minute explaining the deco screen is worthwhile, on the most remote chance that something goes wrong.

halemanō;5707431:
Our guests hold at the very least recreational dive certifications. By coming out on our boat they are agreeing to dive our plan. One of the guides stays in the water at least until all divers are at the SS.

If the guide looks at your computer at the first dive SS and you have a "mandatory" stop showing, you will not be allowed to make a second dive. If after the first dive you climb back on board the boat with a beeping "error mode" computer, you will not be allowed to make a second dive. If those things happen on the second dive, you may not ever be allowed to dive with us again.

What if:
a) They have a cert for deco (like for instance the majority of BSAC trained divers,but also "tech" divers)
b) After doing their own research and after assessing their risk factors they have chosen to use a computer which is more conservative or turn the conservation up?

How well trained are your guides on deco theory?

What if:
a) They have a cert for deco (like for instance the majority of BSAC trained divers,but also "tech" divers)
I think the operator still makes the call on the limits, for a few reasons.
b) After doing their own research and after assessing their risk factors they have chosen to use a computer which is more conservative or turn the conservation up?
Diving a more conservative computer is a personal call. I think it's silly as the most liberal are still well within limits but up to them as long as I don't have to buddy with one. Once they make that call tho, then they need to dive by it and stay out of their deco range.
How well trained are your guides on deco theory?
That's the reason the Op makes general rules, so the guides are not responsible for adjusting calls.

I think peanut butter is better than nutella...

You overextended your BT, cut short the SS and this is all based on depth averaging which is not how the tables are designed to be used.

You're typing so it couldn't have been that bad.
Where you are wrong is that Nutella is much better than peanut butter and would decrease the required S/I time because it is that good. Oh yeah... and Chuck Norris likes Nutella.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom