Divers Signaling Mirror

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A signal mirror is one of the most valuable signaling devices you can carry.

I bought this gadget last year...
safesignal.jpg

Haleyxx,

Here are the 3 signal devices that I have foud to be the most effective (haven't had to use more than a couple of times):

1. Saftey Sausage
2. Dive Alert
3. Mirror (cheap and easy to carry)

Safe Diving,

Vanessar

Some time ago after following and incident where some divers were lost in the Red Sea we had quite a chat about what to do if you found yourself adrift.

Here are some great resources that came out of that thread with a link to the original thread. I have tried to pick the best links out of the thread. I think the first 3 links should be a must read for any person diving a large body of water.

Surface Suvival Primer:
http://www.tabula-international.com/DIV/SMB3.html\

Diver Location Trails:
Diver location trials: Introduction

Best signal mirrors--according to this experiment CD's make very poor signal mirrors:
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - SIGNALING GROUP

Original Thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...ing-quarterbacks-20-miles-out-boats-gone.html

Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406 PLB EPIRB

Survival Gear and Equipment Evaluations - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

Masks as the are clear and lack the ability to aim the reflection are not a good option to signal. Whatever reflection was generated would likely look just like the rest of the sparkly water you were floating in on a sunny day.

Knives do not have the ability to generate a strong enough reflection and again would likely blend in with the water.

Link to original report of divers missing:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/173014-divers-missing-near-marsa-alam.html
Note post number post 71 and 72 on page 8 of the single diver who lived to tell about what happened and how the tried to signal, but could not be seen.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Masks as the are clear and lack the ability to aim the reflection are not a good option to signal. Whatever reflection was generated would likely look just like the rest of the sparkly water you were floating in on a sunny day.
While I recommend a mirror, a wise person uses all of the tools available. While flat glass lets most light through, it does indeed reflect a pretty good percentage and will function as a mirror. You can easily verify that on any sunny day. As with other mirrors without sighting devices, the easiest way to aim the reflectiion of a mask is to hold out your other arm, making a V with your fingers. Look through the mask and bring the spot onto your fingers. The scan the spot back and forth.

Mirrors work well on bright sunny days. Dive lights work well at night. Signal sausages work in both cloudy and sunny days. I bring all 3, as well as a whistle and a Dive Alert on each and every dive.

The DAN tag with mirror on the back is probly the best approach, as it'll always be attached to your BC. DAN Divers Alert Network : Product Catalog : DAN Tag

I have an old DAN tag so I carry my mirror hung from neck - see photo, when I don't forget. I really do not want to forget.

Attachments

• Coz 8-07 sm.jpg
    Coz 8-07 sm.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 37
I don't see any mirror!! :rofl3:
image.php

While I recommend a mirror, a wise person uses all of the tools available. While flat glass lets most light through, it does indeed reflect a pretty good percentage and will function as a mirror. You can easily verify that on any sunny day. As with other mirrors without sighting devices, the easiest way to aim the reflectiion of a mask is to hold out your other arm, making a V with your fingers. Look through the mask and bring the spot onto your fingers. The scan the spot back and forth.

Since the sun is also reflecting off of the shinny sparkly water the mask reflection if you were able to pull it off would not stand out in any way from the light hitting the water around you. You just can't get the brightness and distance out of a mask to been seen by S&R.

Mirrors are able to fully reflect the light and be seen for miles and stand out as a much brighter light than the normal light reflection on water or clear glass.

Using your mask for reflection sounds like a workable idea, but is just isn't. Better to keep it on your face to keep the salt and water out of your eyes.

LP has those Star Flash mirrors in stock again. I purchased the larger 3x5 size and have played around with them and they are really easy to use and provide a great reflection. I did have some cloth cases made for them to prevent any scratching. I have used it several times on land to practice and plan to do some water trials shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom