Divers Killed by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hermosadive:
Why? If someone quotes/posts public information why would you feel the need to censor that information? MBA programs use case studies to further education, don't you think the same logic can be applied here?

In reference to my previous post, this discussion is not, I repeat NOT, about any specific incident.

It will be kept to, as previously mentioned, a discussion of CO problems in general, how they occur, the physiological effects on divers, and how best to avoid same.

Any discussion of a specific incident, especially one that is currently under investigation is reserved for another venue.

That having been said, no one is "censoring" any information. A lot of this revolves around a specific incident on which, to my knowledge, no official report has been issued. When that official report is released, discussion of it will be fair game.

As a Scuba Board staffer, as an IANTD Instructor Trainer, as a Diver Medic Technician, as an Associate Member of UHMS, and as a professional member of DAN, I find am personally affronted at the idea that I, particularly, (or any other SB staff member) would be involved in any cover-up.

This incident will be reported and analyzed at length, most certainly in the DAN Accident Reports, when the official investigations are complete and the reports are submitted.

To return to current matters, I will restate one simple fact.

This discussion is NOT about any specific incident.

Thank you.

BigJetDriver69:
All posters are reminded that this discussion is about CO contamination in divers' breathing air, physiological effects of such an event, and ways to avoid same.

Any reference to a specific event has been removed, will continue to be removed, and it is requested that posters restrain themselves in this respect.
\

Thank you for the edit BJD69. It was my intent to follow the rules and I appriciate your edit. To reassure any that are concerned, I do not feel my post was censored. The editing was a subtle and appropriate correction of an oversight on my part, for that, I am grateful to BJD69 and appologize for my oversight.

since this thread is not discussing the facts of a particular accident or incident,
but rather discussing the dangers of CO in general, i've moved it from Incident
and Accidents to this forum after discussing it with BigJetDriver

I think reading about accidents provides a great reality check for divers. Divercarrib is referencing the accident at Coco View, you can cover your eyes if you don't like it. Censor and edit your brains out guys if it makes you feel good.

well, the problem is that speculation is not allowed in the Accident and Incidents
forum, and there's not a shred of evidence linking the CocoView accident to
CO poisoning.

if you guys want to speculate about that here (different forum), be our guest

you know... if this didn't involve the deaths of two human beings, i'd make
a joke about it...

Do a search for "Poulliot" or "Kalavant" on here and TDS and you should be able to find a lot of discussions that tie directly to what you are asking, as there was quite a bit of discussion about detection and prevention after they died in the Yucatan about a year and a half ago due to Carbon Monoxide.

[fwiw; I opened this thread with the distinct comment of 'oh ****, it happened again???']

I seem to recall that although CO binds irreversibly to haemoglobin, the effects can be somewhat offset by O2 administration for a pro-longer period.

Also...remember CO is odourless and colourless.

H2Andy:
well, the problem is that speculation is not allowed in the Accident and Incidents
forum, and there's not a shred of evidence linking the CocoView accident to
CO poisoning.

if you guys want to speculate about that here (different forum), be our guest

you know... if this didn't involve the deaths of two human beings, i'd make
a joke about it...

I haven't read any speculation, other than moderators speculating that there will be some speculation.

I don't find anything funny about the topic whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom