Divers impacting aquatic mammals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stopped caring as soon as I saw impact abused as a verb.

It may not be popular but all the dictionaries accept it:

OED

Pronunciation: /ˈɪmpakt/

• 1the action of one object coming forcibly into contact with another:there was the sound of a third impact[mass noun]:bullets which expand and cause devastating injury on impact

• 2a marked effect or influence:our regional measures have had a significant impact onunemployment
[h=3]verb[/h]Pronunciation: /ɪmˈpakt/
[no object]
  • 1come into forcible contact with another object:the shell impacted twenty yards away
  • [with object] chiefly North American come into forcible contact with:an asteroid impacted the earth some 60 million years ago
  • [with object] press (something) firmly:the animals‘ feet do not impact and damage the soil as cows’ hooves do

• 2 (impact on) have a strong effect on someone or something:high interest rates have impacted on retail spending[with object]:the move is not expected to impact the company’s employees
[h=2]Origin:[/h]early 17th century (as a verb in the sense 'press closely, fix firmly'): from Latin impact- 'driven in', from the verb impingere

The phrasal verb impact on, as in when produce is lost, it always impacts on the bottom line, has been in the language since the 1960s. Many people disapprove of it, saying that make an impact on or other equivalent wordings should be used instead. This may be partly because, in general, new formations of verbs from nouns (as in the case of impact, action, and task) are regarded as somehow inferior; in addition, since the verbal use of impact is associated with business and commercial writing, it has the unenviable status of ‘jargon’, which makes it doubly disliked. .

I am strongly against this kind of animal harassment, unless of course afterward the baby whales are harvested for human consumption. Mmmm...grilled baby whale fillets with fresh lump crabmeat in a lemon butter sauce.

It was pretty obvious to me that this thread started as a bit of fun and light hearted humor. Then I saw that people thought it was real and I thought...oh dear!

Then I glanced at the thread about identifying two divers from an old photograph...Bottom Scratchers or Bottom Dwellers or something like that. It was an old photo of two guys on the beach with a paddleboard and a car way in the background. Someone mentioned that they didn't see the car in the background and I posted that if they looked close enough they'd see the mask and fins by the front tire. I was KIDDING...you could barely see the car parked about 100 yds away in the old B&W photo much less any imaginary mask and fins, yet people were still posting that there were DEFINITELY no mask and fins by the front tire.

I'm getting the feeling that theres not much humor around these parts. Diving is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but a few people seem to be really drove up (in a bad way) about gear choices and vacation spots and stressing out fish and killing whales with poisonous pee pee.

I grabbed the wrong fins once when heading out for a boat dive, resulting in one green fin and one black fin of different brands. From the looks I got from some of the people on the boat you'd have thought I was wearing a shirt that said "SCUBA Sucks" or something. My buddy and I had a good laugh while I'm pretty sure everyone else wanted me dead.

Lighten up people...not everyone who wears split-fins, eats seafood, and likes the dolphin show at Seaworld is the Antichrist.

I had to check my calendar... it isn't April 1st.

This post wasn't put up on April 1st, was it? Seems pretty troll-like to me...

Back
Top Bottom