Divers impacting aquatic mammals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Environmentalist and several advocacy groups have been up in arms recently due to a study conducted at Berkley that cites keratin protein abnormalities in aquatic mammals due to carbarnoyl phosphate retention. The study was conducted to determine the cause of two separate whale pods inability to produce survivable offspring. It was noted the offspring produced by these whales had significant deformities in their baleens and were not able to efficiently feed and starved to death. Autopsies were conducted and researchers concluded that the cause of this deformation were high levels of the compound carbarnoyl phosphate directly impeding the animals ability to synthesis protein and produce the necessary keratin for proper baleen formation.

Carbarnoyl phosphate is produced by terrestrial mammals only, and is not found in high concentrations in the ocean. A team of scientist investigating the source of the carbarnoyl phosphate have discovered that ammonia reacts with the compound thioureas to form carbarnoyl phosphate. Thioureas is most widely used in the production of polychloroprene (i.e. neoprene). Scientists have concluded that divers are significantly contributing to the toxic levels of carbarnoyl phosphate in coastal zones by urinating in their wetsuits. However, in the course of the investigation a single pod of whales; nicknamed the “wee-wee” pod, was discovered that has developed an immunity to the toxic compound. Two calves in this pod named “Number One” and “Number Two” have shown no deformations despite relatively high concentrations of ambient carbarnoyl phosphate. Scientists working to take blood samples from these animals have remarked “Number One is quite pleasurable and we generally sample several times a day. Number Two, while usually regular, can be somewhat erratic in appearances and can be quite challenging at times.” Dr. Piddle, the team leader for the research, is hoping to pinpoint and isolate the genome that has provided these whales with immunity. In the meantime he cautions against excessive wetsuiturination and reminds us “that every time you pee in your wetsuit you kill a baby whale.”

I am strongly against this kind of animal harassment, unless of course afterward the baby whales are harvested for human consumption. Mmmm...grilled baby whale fillets with fresh lump crabmeat in a lemon butter sauce.

I stopped caring as soon as I saw impact abused as a verb.

You have the scientific data. I would figure that for this problem to occur there have to be a lot of divers in a particular area all peeing.

I'd be very surprised if there's enough of concentration of ammonia in the ocean to start any kind of reaction on that scale. Even if it all happened inside a person wetsuit then leeched, I don't think there would be a significant amount to effect multiple pods of whales. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless I'm missing something.

I'd like to see a stand alone study on how neoprene reacts and what rate it leaches in the water before drawing any conclusions to not piss myself on a dive; dive suits, fishing waders, foulies, and all sorts of other neoprene products that enter the ocean.

Guys...

study conducted at Berkley [#1 indication of trolling right there]

Carbarnoyl phosphate [relevant chemical compound repeatedly misspelled]

a single pod of whales; nicknamed the “wee-wee” pod [how did you not catch this?]

Two calves in this pod named “Number One” and “Number Two” [seriously?]

Scientists working to take blood samples from these animals have remarked “Number One is quite pleasurable and we generally sample several times a day. Number Two, while usually regular, can be somewhat erratic in appearances and can be quite challenging at times.” [over the top trolling right there]

Dr. Piddle ['nuff said]

Too early. I wanted to see how many fell for it.

I was shocked it got any earnest responses at all. Had the OP removed some of the more obvious stuff, it would have been a solid effort.

In the meantime he cautions against excessive wetsuiturination and reminds us “that every time you pee in your wetsuit you kill a baby whale.”

That's like saying every time you spank the monkey, god kills a kitten.

Back
Top Bottom