Divers getting our own dedicated boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It has been a long time coming but the wait has been worth it.

We have always been able to grab any boat in our 14-boat fleet we need. We have just never had a dedicated dive boat other than our two Avon’s. One is a13 footer and the other a16 footer on a trailer.

The department is going to make a final decision on Tuesday if the trade is going to go or not. Our boat, which everyone hates for patrol work is a 19’ X 8’ Almar Cutty with a 100hp outboard on it. This is the only Almar we haven’t liked in the 25+ years we have been using them. There is nothing wrong with the boat other than it just doesn’t fit our needs at all.

The boat we are trading for is a 20’ X 8’ powered barge. It has a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke, large stern cabin, 6’ X 6’ bow drop ramp, 4’+ tall storage area under the deck the entire length of the boat. She will handle the SS equipment and boom with ease or 10+ divers in comfort.

We took it out for a while and the performance is what you would expect for a barge. This will be the SS and dive recovery boat. It will not be a response boat for rescues so speed isn’t an issue.

The trade is between county departments anyway. Parks and Rec. got the boat and did a lot of modifications to it to fit their needs. It turned out they don’t like it so when the trade was mentioned they jumped for it.

If we get it I will post some pics and have you guys give us some of your ideas on how to set her up.

I want to name her “Orgasmic” but I don’t think that will fly. 3 more days will tell.

I’ll post a quickie drawing in my photo album so you have somewhat of an idea of what it is.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2714

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom