Divers Found Drifting Way Offshore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a ball bearing swivel with a large coast lock (Bass Pro) on my line
This also helps keep the line twist to a minimum.
DITTO...
I also use the ball bearing, fishing line swivels from B-pro to eliminate twisting. I have larger one at the top of my line next to the SMB, but I was finding it still wasn't eliminating ALL the twists.

So I added a 2nd smaller swivel and cut my line right at my 15 foot length and tied it in the middle there. It serves 2 purposes. A> almost 100% eliminates all line kink/knot twists. B> I don't look at my depth gauge for my stop. I can see the swivel as I'm looking up to it. {ie - stop task loading when sharks/props nearby}

It's a good tip to add to diver's gear.

DITTO...
I also use the ball bearing, fishing line swivels from B-pro to eliminate twisting. I have larger one at the top of my line next to the SMB, but I was finding it still wasn't eliminating ALL the twists.

So I added a 2nd smaller swivel and cut my line right at my 15 foot length and tied it in the middle there. It serves 2 purposes. A> almost 100% eliminates all line kink/knot twists. B> I don't look at my depth gauge for my stop. I can see the swivel as I'm looking up to it. {ie - stop task loading when sharks/props nearby}

It's a good tip to add to diver's gear.
Adding the swivel(s) sounds like a good idea, but one concern I have is how to best secure the line to a swivel. My finger spool line is braided nylon; no matter how many half hitches I throw into a knot in that stuff they always eventually work loose.

Adding the swivel(s) sounds like a good idea, but one concern I have is how to best secure the line to a swivel. My finger spool line is braided nylon; no matter how many half hitches I throw into a knot in that stuff they always eventually work loose.

Those swivels really help solve the twist problem but it needs to be a good swivel, I have a biiger one from down here that helps but could be better - ball bearing swivel, my how we are so deprived down here!!

You can try burning the knot end, it helps but doesn't always stay put. These spools like the Apex ($$$) and some off brand ones ($) have a lead at the end of the line, I put the swivel between the line and the lead, helps somewhat.

A simple loop tied with a simple granny knot in the line inserted into snap swivel hole then pass the snap swivel back thru the loop. Then attach the snap (I like a large coast lock type) to the bouy.
Every few hundred dives I re-tie just to be safe, never had a problem with the knot.

Superglue the knot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom