Diver's death in Sandwich MA 11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, I'm an instructor and have done one rescue at the surface and one assist at 85'. I wouldn't call the 85' incident a rescue as the diver didn't run out of air, they just freaked out and we locked arms to ensure a safe and slow ascend, no fly aways.

I have done a lot of training and visualization to try to prepare for such events. I can only hope my training pays off when and if a real out of air situation takes place.

I did want to point out that a big part of my training is focused on preventing accidents from happening. Be more observant and try to stop incidents from taking place before they happen. You need to become good at reading people and looking for those signs of distress before someone enters the water. There are many signs like downing equipement really slow, shaking hands, silence, sweating when it's not that hot out. These are all things I've seen and helped to defuse before an incident takes place.

I also am a firm believer in redunancy. I always dive with self preservation in mind. Always have a pony bottle and an extra knife in a different location or cutting shears, or both.

I think you nailed it when you mentioned prevention. Keep practicing prevention and you may never run in to an out of air situation. Also, redundancy certainly is important and as Mass Diver pointed out, positioning those redundent systems in easily accessible areas e.g. Octo attached to necklace, knife at waist or in front of you (front mount tank), sheers on BC etc.

novisdiver:
I did want to point out that a big part of my training is focused on preventing accidents from happening. Be more observant and try to stop incidents from taking place before they happen. You need to become good at reading people and looking for those signs of distress before someone enters the water. There are many signs like downing equipement really slow, shaking hands, silence, sweating when it's not that hot out. These are all things I've seen and helped to defuse before an incident takes place.

There is truth to this statment, however, espically with regard to this accident (and the two or three other local accidents in the last few years that come to mind) - the type of diver most at risk for accident will not show any of these signs. In fact, I would guess if the deceased is anything like people I know who fit his personality, he was probably very relaxed before the dive. PADI and other agencies teach their instructors to focus on the scared kid being bullied into a dive they are not ready for, however, in real life - many times the people that die are the ego manics who aren't scared at all before the dive. These people are the cocky, show offs who never seem nervous.

There is a genre of risk taker, not neccessarily a show off, but just not afraid within the same parameters as you or I. I think he was in that group. I knew another person ,a rock climber, with this similar lack of fear who also met a tragic fate. Similarly, he went alone, his wife waiting for his return on the trail. You see, they fully intend to return.

MASS-Diver:
There is truth to this statment, however, espically with regard to this accident (and the two or three other local accidents in the last few years that come to mind) - the type of diver most at risk for accident will not show any of these signs. In fact, I would guess if the deceased is anything like people I know who fit his personality, he was probably very relaxed before the dive. PADI and other agencies teach their instructors to focus on the scared kid being bullied into a dive they are not ready for, however, in real life - many times the people that die are the ego manics who aren't scared at all before the dive. These people are the cocky, show offs who never seem nervous.

I believe what you have written is true. I was a journalist for many years, and covered a great many accidents of this nature. In my purely anecdotal experience, the image that so often emerged was exactly as you put it.

When I am on a dive boat, I am very wary of the diver who seems to have no fear...on a recent dive in North Carolina, there was one diver that pretty much refused to buddy up with anyone. He was diving doubles when no one else was. He seemed to be cockily posturing as some sort of tech diver. But, to my eyes, he clearly was not.

Ironically, he was out of the water before anyone else, although presumable he had more air than any of us. He also was obviously more distressed once he came out. Going in he seemed to know everything, of course.

I'm probably the least judgemental person around, but my dive buddy (a very experienced dive master who I trust completely) and I agreed, there was something amiss with this guy. We also agreed we would never buddy up with him.

I just offer this as an opinion, of course. But when I was in the service, I remember being trained by an old Chief Petty Officer to stay away from the hero types because they were dangerous.

Jeff

rapidiver:
There is a genre of risk taker, not neccessarily a show off, but just not afraid within the same parameters as you or I. I think he was in that group. I knew another person ,a rock climber, with this similar lack of fear who also met a tragic fate. Similarly, he went alone, his wife waiting for his return on the trail. You see, they fully intend to return.

Or they seek an audience...personally I am not sure which.

Jeff

Just thought that I would add something to this sad comentary. I was certified last year and due to a back injury had a very short season this year but one thing that I've kept in mind in all my diving endeavors is family. Diving by it's very nature is a lot less forgiving a sport than fishing or table billiards. Before each dive I try to ask myself "have I done everything I can to make this a safe dive for myself and my family?"

At this stage in my training and experience, I would not attempt a solo dive. Earlier this season I was very grateful for a buddy that untangled my rig from a lobster lilne. I know sometimes it's downright difficult to find a dive companion. I've cancelled plans because of the lack of a buddy. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard. Dive accidents WILL happen. I only wish that there were fewer foolhardy participants in this sport. Their surviving families carry the loss forrever.

aquageek:
Before each dive I try to ask myself "have I done everything I can to make this a safe dive for myself and my family?"

At this stage in my training and experience, I would not attempt a solo dive. (snip) I know sometimes it's downright difficult to find a dive companion. I've cancelled plans because of the lack of a buddy. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard. Dive accidents WILL happen. I only wish that there were fewer foolhardy participants in this sport. Their surviving families carry the loss forrever.

When I started diving, my 70 year-old mother made me promise her I would never dive solo. I agreed. There were times, when I couldn't find a buddy and wanted desperately to dive, that I've wished I'd never made that promise, but it's one I'll never break.

Like Aquageek, I've had dry weekends on many, many occasions because I couldn't find a buddy to dive with me. But I knew that I'd rather stay home and do house or yardwork than run risks I didn't want to run or (God forbid :wink:) break my promise to my mom.

To underscore Aquageek's message, the diver's obituary, with its long list of family, including his four daughters is found in today's Cape Cod Times. I won't repost it here out of respect to his family and those who knew him well...but it can be found in the print version of today's paper at www.capecodonline.com . It'll break your heart....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom