Diver's death in Sandwich MA 11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Just a question (for anyone): Were you warned about solo diving during your OW?
To be honest, my instructor taught us the buddy system. Period. I can't quote him as saying "Never dive solo." But we learned it as a buddy sport. We were taught how to be attentive to our dive buddy, always checking on each other. The first time I heard the term 'solo-diving' I was surprised that anyone would. I prefer to be on the safe side. I have a back-up plan for more things than just diving. To quote Louis Pasteur- "Chance favors the prepared mind."

genxweb:
..... In the write up it stated he did not have a bc....
I guess I missed that part. My question now, is this: How did he still have his tank (with 2000psi) and no BC? Just guessing, maybe he removed his gear UW to free his entanglement? Was his tank not strapped to his BC? Or is there a gear configuration of the two being seperate? Maybe BP/wing, where he lost his wings but backplate was intact? Not sure if that's possible..........of course, almost anything is possible. Can someone dive at shallow depth (like the ~20ft as mentioned earlier) without a BCD? I hope we can get more details. I'm also curious if there are any warning signs posted near the dive site. Sounds like a lot of divers/swimmers don't know about the dangerous current there. As the saying goes.... an ounce of prevention..........

Li'l38:
I guess I missed that part. My question now, is this: How did he still have his tank (with 2000psi) and no BC? Just guessing, maybe he removed his gear UW to free his entanglement? Was his tank not strapped to his BC? Or is there a gear configuration of the two being seperate?

There *is* a gear configuration (that is not commonly seen anymore) where one does not wear a BC. It's called a backpack (as opposed to a backplate and wings) - and is used to strap the tank to the diver's body. It does not have an integrated flotation device.

Just wanted to add that whenever I read about accidents like this, it makes me shudder even more to see so many people with huge snorkles on the side of their masks. This is the most dangerous entanglment risk most new divers bring upon themselves. Get that thing off your mask before it gets you in trouble. Even in the roughest of all seas you can do fine swimming on your back without one.

Just to reply to two items that have come up since my last post.....

1) The police investigation into this incident is not designed to determine exactly how the person died, but rather to ascertain whether or not any criminal actions were the cause of the death. This is no different than any other sudden or unattended death(i.e. overdose, suicide, accident) investigated by the local PD or the SP at the DA's Office. Being a diver, I'd like to know more, too, but unfortunately the police have limited resources and, justifiably, choose to devote those resources to criminal investigations.
2) As far as knives and other cutting instruments go, I'm a bit old school, so I do carry a large knife on inside of left leg. Back-up is a pair of EMT shears attached to the left front of my BC. IMHO, a cutting tool on your BC shoulder strap is not easily accessible.

LobstaMan

I'll shed some new light on the tragedy and allow you to draw conclusions:

A friend of mine introduced Bruce(diver involved in accident) to free diving for Lobsters and from that point he was hooked. (I felt it was the same "Bruce" when I first saw the reports but I couldn't remember his last name) He was built like a bull with an attitude to match and completely unafraid of the water. One of those guys who could stay in 57 degree water for hours in a 3 mil with no problem while I'm freezing in a 7. He was a good guy and the group of us had some fun times. He was also a big risk taker and I've seen him push the limits even as a free diver.

How could this strong guy with good knowledge of the water(even though he was certified recently he's had hundreds of freedives with a good number of them in this exact spot) drown?

Here are the new facts:

Body was discovered about 30 feet off the tip of the jetty with tank valve snarled on lobster pot line

Weights had been ditched

Knife was still sheathed

Diver had not worn BC on dive

Diver was diving solo

rapidiver:
Body was discovered about 30 feet off the tip of the jetty with tank valve snarled on lobster pot line

Ugggg, in my earlier post in this thread I had posted about this exact type of entanglement. As I mentioned then, with multi-pot lobster trawls the line can wrap around your valve almost in a cleat knot fashions. You are often working on the bottom (for a bug) and the line is above you. It's happened to me twice, it's scary in that the line pulls very tight and is weighted down by a few hundred pound of gear - you can't see it and it's very hard to reach (I can touch my valves in a single tank) but you need to reach even further back. I would say this type of entanlment is just about impossible to free by hand - the line is so tight and it holds you in place. As I posted, the first time this happened - my buddy un wrapped me and it's still something we talk about now (a few years later) because he was so freaked out by how tight the line was around my valve. The second time, I reached up and cut the line.

In terms of this accident: sometimes it's good to afraid. The fact that this guy had no BC is disturbing. Lots of people with big egos don't find out that their skills suck untill it's too late. I don't like to dive with people that are not afraid at least a little bit.

Clearly, panic must have been a factor - he was not even close to running out of gas and he did not even deploy his knife.

Also, in this case - ditching your weight is the LAST thing you want to do. In fact, moving lower in the water column with actually remove some of the tensions. This was HUGE mistake.

Another bad move - this guy's tank was caught - not his body. If you dive solo, you need to be able to get out your gear. At worst, cut your should straps and swim up. Heck, a good freediver could have them swam back down and got his gear.

Please, if you get wrapped up, STAY CALM - close your eyes and fight the panic, then work your way out. If you don't think you can handle this scary situation - please train more in confined water.

That was obviously a very dangerous situation, your buddy probably saved your life. And you're right about being afraid-it's a defense mechanism. Your advice has great value to divers in the area. I'll be sure to pass it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom