Diver's death in Sandwich MA 11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very familar with the STB area(diving there on and off since '84), but have never dove off the Horizons property. However, being that close to the jetty with the strong currents near the canal, it doesn't surprise me that an accident occurred under the circumstances described in the paper. Diving alone, lack of proper gear, lack of experience, u/w hazards...add up.

In fact, my brother and I went diving off the first few private homes near STB earlier this year and were swept farther toward canal than we anticipated. We experienced some very strong currents that required an exhausting surface swim back to the beach and a long walk back to the cars. It was a wake-up call. The current would probably be that much greater closer to Horizons on a day like that.

Sympathies to the diver's family and friends.

LobstaMan

Li'l38:
It really gives me the blues to read threads like this. To me, the tragedy of accidental or unexpected death is most painful. Often times it's difficult for the survivors to cope. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. I feel just awful for her. I wasn't even gonna post until I saw this... I know there are many folks that dive solo. Personally, I wouldn't. What I don't get here is why he did, if he was newly certified. I know, questioning his skills and judgement tends to place blame. I don't mean to be insensitive. I'm just very curious of the nature of his decision. What did he know/ not know about the dive site? What was he taught in class about safety, diving solo, or diving within his limits? It's a sad situation, no doubt. There is usually something that can be learned from it.

This is indeed a very sad situation...however, I can speak to a little of your post (the part I bolded), as I know this student's instructor very well and have for 3 years, as a close friend, dive buddy and someone who instructed me in a specialty class.

This particular instructor is VERY safety conscious and imparts that to his students. He is *very* clear to them that they should ALWAYS dive with a buddy, and ALWAYS dive within their limits. He is very clear with them that they are *beginning* divers when they are certified and should dive conservatively and then go on to further formal training (preferable through Rescue).

Unfortunately, no matter how well a student is taught, once they have that C-card in their hands, the instructor cannot control their behavior - while they may *know* what they're supposed to do, they may chose to ignore that and do what they *want* to do. This diver apparently made some very bad decisions which caused tragic results - it is very, very sad, and my deepest condolences are going out to his family and friends.

SadiesMom:
This particular instructor is VERY safety conscious and imparts that to his students. He is *very* clear to them that they should ALWAYS dive with a buddy, and ALWAYS dive within their limits. He is very clear with them that they are *beginning* divers when they are certified and should dive conservatively and then go on to further formal training (preferable through Rescue).

He is indeed very safety conscious both while instructing and while just being your dive buddy.

Entanglement in a high current area like the Cape Cod Canal could freak out any diver, especially if the reg gets ripped out, and as much as we'd like to say we can handle it you never know unless it happens to you.

Condolences to all who knew the unfortunate victim.

DSDO

Alan

As I read the posts and the news story one other thing stood out that no one mentioned. In the write up it stated he did not have a bc. I can see this if he was a old school diver and grew up that way but being newly certified you would think he would have one. IMO he did three things wrongs and maybe 4 but the 4th we will never know.

Either way I send my prayers to his family and freinds.

Li'l38:
I know there are many folks that dive solo. Personally, I wouldn't. What I don't get here is why he did, if he was newly certified.

Just a question (for anyone): Were you warned about solo diving during your OW?

As far as I can remember, I was not. It wasn't discussed, and I didn't even think about it much until reading about it here because I've never been in a position to solo dive. The more experience I gain and the more I read, the more aware I become of the inherent dangers. I don't think they are really covered during most OW courses, so a newly certified diver going solo may not even realize s/he's doing anything risky.

genxweb:
As I read the posts and the news story one other thing stood out that no one mentioned. In the write up it stated he did not have a bc. I can see this if he was a old school diver and grew up that way but being newly certified you would think he would have one. IMO he did three things wrongs and maybe 4 but the 4th we will never know.

Either way I send my prayers to his family and freinds.

My take was that he lost his BC after he became entangled before or after he died.

LobstaMan:
I am very familar with the STB area(diving there on and off since '84), but have never dove off the Horizons property. However, being that close to the jetty with the strong currents near the canal, it doesn't surprise me that an accident occurred under the circumstances described in the paper. Diving alone, lack of proper gear, lack of experience, u/w hazards...add up.

In fact, my brother and I went diving off the first few private homes near STB earlier this year and were swept farther toward canal than we anticipated. We experienced some very strong currents that required an exhausting surface swim back to the beach and a long walk back to the cars. It was a walk-up call. The current would probably be that much greater closer to Horizons on a day like that.

Sympathies to the diver's family and friends.

LobstaMan

I posted this earlier in the thread:

"This location (one of my favorites) is very deceiving. East of the jetty is wonderful diving, even for novices. When the conditions are appropriate, the water is clear and calm, loaded with lobsters and crabs, and depth is minimal (20' max depending). The problem is once you pass the tip of the jetty(point of no return) there's no turning back-you'll be sucked into the Cape Cod Canal and at it's mercy. Many folks don't realize this and there are frequent Coast Guard rescues as a result."

And you're right, even much further East of Horizons one can get into trouble with the current.

And I hate to say it, but I've actually talked with divers in the Horizons parking lot that weren't even aware a major canal was on the other side of the jetty.

Poor guy. Sounds like lack of experience doomed him. I know first hand how ripping the current can be at STB. Even a mile south east from the jetty one can feel a .5-1 knot current. I love the area because of the proliferation of crustatians (a result of the current), but dread the canal. I always end up going east (away from the canal), although there is less to see that way.

*Floater*:
Just a question (for anyone): Were you warned about solo diving during your OW?

As far as I can remember, I was not. It wasn't discussed, and I didn't even think about it much until reading about it here because I've never been in a position to solo dive. The more experience I gain and the more I read, the more aware I become of the inherent dangers. I don't think they are really covered during most OW courses, so a newly certified diver going solo may not even realize s/he's doing anything risky.

You *should've* been taught very firmly (as I know this particular instructor does, as did my own) that you should ALWAYS dive with a buddy. This is covered in all OW courses that I'm aware of. Buddy diving is a very important and stressed concept, as is having an octopus and sharing air - in fact it is one of the required skills in all OW classes, to my knowledge. To say that that students aren't taught the dangers of diving solo is a bit deceiving - when an instructor says that students should ALWAYS dive with a buddy and ALWAYS remain within such a distance so that their buddy can help them, I believe it's inherent that a reasonable person would assume that they should NOT be diving solo. ("always" being the opposite of "never")

This student was certified at Sandwich Town Beach where vis generally tops out at 10 fsw - far less if you're lobstering and stirring things up. I will guarantee that this instructor, who I know personally and have dived with on many occasions, is supremely safety conscious and instructs his students to ALWAYS dive with a buddy and to stay VERY close to them because of the consistently low vis conditions in the area. I did a internship dive with him when I was a DMC and have personally heard him give site briefings and talks about diving safely (and sticking with your buddy) to his students.

Again - an instructor can *teach* a student what is safe and prudent - but once a diver gets a C-card, what s/he actually does is up to him/her - s/he can completely ignore his/her training and what s/he was taught about diving safely if that's what s/he chooses to do. That's what appears to have happened in this case. My heart goes out to the the family and friends of this diver. It also goes out to my dear friend, the instructor of this diver, who taught this diver everything he needed to know to dive safely, including assessing the conditions for safety, using proper, safe equipment, always diving *with a buddy*, and basic emergency procedures. It is incredibly sad and a tremendous waste of a relatively young and vibrant life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom