Diver's Cove this Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Coast Divers meets at the Laguna Hills Mall. Depending on where you are coming from, you may find it more convenient to go to the Von's Pavilions at Boat Canyon. South Orange County Dive Club meets there every Saturday at 8:00 a.m and Laguna Sea Dwellers meets there every other weekend at I believe 7:45. Both are actual dive clubs, so you may have to join to dive with them. SOCDC has its meetings at Fudruckers on El Toro and LSD has its club meetings at the Newport Beach Tennis Club on the Newport Beach's back bay. There is some cross over membership/participation among SCD, SOCDC and LSD.

When the south swell is running, Palos Verdes and Redondo are often better bets than Laguna. DiveVets is a bulletin board group that dives off of Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach next to the pier on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings. They dive Marineland on Sunday mornings.

thanks for the info scjoe!

We're really looking forward to diving this weekend. What are the conditions looking like?

Excellent! Hope to see you and ligersandtions Saturday. Conditions look so-so but it should be a fine dive

Also, you'll always find SCD members who will dive again on Sunday, many times during the week and night dives as well - typically Tuesday nights. So, if you want to dive all week, someone will be around to join you anytime you like.

Unfortunately it's going to be a while before I make it back out. I'm diving up in Washington this weekend, then the following two weekends will be consumed with AOW stuff....but come September, I'll be back out :D

But have fun this weekend....hopefully you get some good visibility!

I would say the conditions are looking so-so for viz this weekend in Laguna. The south swell is the dominant swell right now (which is usually the case in the summer) so south facing beaches like those in Laguna tend to have poorer viz than beaches like Redondo and around Palos Verdes. It might turn out to be just a great weekend for breakfast at the Cottage.

I would say the conditions are looking so-so for viz this weekend in Laguna. The south swell is the dominant swell right now (which is usually the case in the summer) so south facing beaches like those in Laguna tend to have poorer viz than beaches like Redondo and around Palos Verdes. It might turn out to be just a great weekend for breakfast at the Cottage.

I feel like such a noob again! I've got a TON of diving under my weight belt (actually, I'm integrated but I digress...) Cold, deep water in Canada, months in the Caribbean but nothing out here on the west coast (well a few dives) ...there's soooo much to learn!! I ain't even gonna pretend I know it all....this is your pool kids....Please be gentle! :eyebrow:

I went to the SCD gathering at 7:30.
They were diving Deadman's.
So I went to Boat Canyon, then Laguna Sea Sports and got a fill.
I hung out at Diver's Cove / North Heisler till 9:30 or so.
I saw a group from Pacific Wildlife gearing up.
I ended up going out with Andy and Judith.
Vis was not bad, considering the surge, and we went down the ramp, then South-Southeast.
Followed the edge of the sand out to 25 fsw or so, and checked out the reef. Saw many cool fish and peeked into a crack and checked out the lobsters. Coming over a rock, I saw an octopus that was white with tiny black spots, then SNAP, was rock colored. While I was trying to point it out to my dive buddies, it slipped away.

40 minutes, 28FSW max, Average depth 19 feet, 64 degrees at the coldest.
Beautiful day, fun dive, meet new friends! Cool!! -N

Hey Jeff,
Did I see you there Saturday? Did you join us at Deadman's?

nannymouse,
Why didn't join us at Deadman's? Regardless, glad to hear you got wet!

Hey Jeff,

nannymouse,

Hi Runway....sadly no...after all that talk I had to take Saturday to get ready for an confined water course I was teaching....

We will be there next Saturday FOR SURE! We drive a silver Hyundai hatchback with black tinted windows. cya there!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

nannymouse,

Did anyone take pictures or video? would LOVE to see some.

Jeff

I went to the SCD gathering at 7:30.
They were diving Deadman's.
So I went to Boat Canyon, then Laguna Sea Sports and got a fill.
I hung out at Diver's Cove / North Heisler till 9:30 or so.
I saw a group from Pacific Wildlife gearing up.
I ended up going out with Andy and Judith.
Vis was not bad, considering the surge, and we went down the ramp, then South-Southeast.
Followed the edge of the sand out to 25 fsw or so, and checked out the reef. Saw many cool fish and peeked into a crack and checked out the lobsters. Coming over a rock, I saw an octopus that was white with tiny black spots, then SNAP, was rock colored. While I was trying to point it out to my dive buddies, it slipped away.

40 minutes, 28FSW max, Average depth 19 feet, 64 degrees at the coldest.
Beautiful day, fun dive, meet new friends! Cool!! -N

:D Thanks for going out with us and especially for the help with getting the tanks refilled! Great dive!
-Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom