Divers "arrested" at Shark's Cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBAS

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I know the first report is usually wrong and I heard this second hand from a friend. It was also a very brief conversation; there was no time for follow-up questions. Has anybody else heard about this or know the story?

Two divers were confronted by 4 policemen after exiting Shark's Cove from a night dive. (At first they only saw 4 guys coming for them and thought they were getting jumped). The Law hassled them for not having a flag and confiscated their dive gear.

W.T.F?

IF, and that's a BIG IF, it is true, THey would have had to arrest me if they were taking my dive gear, the fine for resisting arrest is less than my dive gear cost. WAY TOO MUCH for a dive flag violation.....of course, if it was just recently, the cops may have thought, "hey, look at the dumb divers that would dive at night in the winter at sharks cove, let's take there stuff, they wouldn't know any better anyways"

wow, haven't heard the story yet....keep us posted!

When did HPD ever regulate activities in the ocean? Doesn't DLNR enforce this area?

sloyota:
When did HPD ever regulate activities in the ocean? Doesn't DLNR enforce this area?

You'd think so.

Maybe the police suspected the divers of Jay-walking across a boat lane and took their gear for the diver's protection.

I thought HI dive flag violation was something like a $50 fine. Never heard of dive gear confiscation. In some states, violation of game rules (out of season lobstering, undersize catch, etc.) can result in gear confiscation, but I don't know if that's true in Hawaii.

Charlie Allen

Charlie99:
I thought HI dive flag violation was something like a $50 fine. Never heard of dive gear confiscation. In some states, violation of game rules (out of season lobstering, undersize catch, etc.) can result in gear confiscation, but I don't know if that's true in Hawaii.

Charlie Allen
True in Hawaii. If you are diving from a boat, they TAKE the boat. If you drove to the Dive site, they taky your vehicle. They will also take ALL your dive gear.
DO NOT POACH....I think all 50 states should have this law enforced.
I think the story in question is just that, a story....OR, there is more to it than what the OP heard.

DO NOT POACH....

so, you think they were spearing? That would make sense actually.

Sort of like dealing drugs and getting your yacht nabbed and auctioned off.

There is a politcal rub over there at the moment if ya'll remember Drew's post. Many of the Hawaiians don't appreciate being told not to take fish, you know.

Those gill nets? Thats a local thing, try and tell them to stop in Kahuku.

Back
Top Bottom