Divers and Pilots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad:
I used to teach students how to hover a Cessna 150 (it was in Oklahoma) Full flaps, turn into the wind and slow down. Hold on the edge of a stall and depending upon the wind you will slowly start flying backwards.

I'll attest to the fact it can be done. My C150 has done it, but at first I didn't know I was. I intended on hovering and picked a day with 50 - 60 knot winds to fly, the C150 is fun on those days. I watched the GPS wind down and would occasionally look out the window and such and when I looked at the GPS again it said I had 11 knots speed and I thought that was the closest I'd ever come to hovering. Turns out I was flying backwards and had passed through 0. Then I tried to hit and maintain 0, that was not as easy IME.

By the way, PP-ASEL with HP endorsement.

I wish fuel was cheaper...

cummings66:
I'll attest to the fact it can be done...

Nods... actually done it in a C172 as well...actually not too difficult if you catch the right winds..

PP-ASEL, VFR, HP Endorsement so I could fly a Dakota and carry more than my own butt and gear..

Haven't flown in awhile because my wife said the family needed to get into boating for quality time...said we could only afford one expensive hobby so flying took a back seat... and then we got into diving.. all of a sudden we found a way to afford two hobbies.. go figure...

Cheetah223:
Sims today are getting realistic enough to train with, I heard the FAA does train with X-Plane. They're definitely no replacement for real world experience, but you can pick up a lot I'm sure.
The biggest issue in my opinion is the control feel and response. I have used X-plane for quit a few years. It has the correct aerodynamic response and is one of only two flight sim software packages I have ever used which did, IMO. The other is an old program called Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. It had amazing flight characteristics in every aircraft that I flew, but it is old and the graphics were pretty basic.

Willie

ScubaPaul:
... my wife said the family needed to get into boating for quality time ... all of a sudden we found a way to afford two hobbies.. go figure...
At least it is easier to scuba dive from a boat than a plane. :)

Willie

AggieDad:
I used to teach students how to hover a Cessna 150 (it was in Oklahoma) Full flaps, turn into the wind and slow down. Hold on the edge of a stall and depending upon the wind you will slowly start flying backwards.

That ain't hovering, Aggie !!! eyebrow You're still maintaining a forward air speed.
To "hover" your A/S has to be 0.

the K

The Kraken:
That ain't hovering, Aggie !!! eyebrow You're still maintaining a forward air speed.
To "hover" your A/S has to be 0.

the K

Hmmm... interesting point, but in this case I would think that Groundspeed would be the measurement... when we think of a helicopter hoving over something, it's typically a landmark.

I sense a TAS / IAS /Groundspeed discussion coming :D

You're right, Paul.
I think the general definiton would be maintaining a position over a fixed point while not in contact with the earth.

But I bet he wouldn't try it 50' above the ground surrounded by 150' trees in his 172 !!!

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom