Diverite Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frankly I don't know what you don't like about the Transpac. What's not to like? Whatever it is, it has escaped me.
Rick

Love my Transpac II. Just spent 7 weeks in Cozumel learning the ins and outs. Lot's of things to adjust and change if you want to. I took off the weight pockets for awhile. There are some situations where it's easier to deal with a belt. ( some boats ) Once I had my weight figured out it was easier to deal with the pockets. The pockets are easy on / easy off.

With a 6m or when I did my Dry suit class with 34 lbs and a beach entry the weight pockets are nice. You can even use pockets and a belt if it works for you.

I knew I needed /wanted the travel wing but made do with the Rec wing. The bungee cord is a real asset when you are dealing with 8 lbs and very little air at 60 - 80 feet. The air does shift and the gusset contol reduces shifting. Plus it is bulky to travel with. Next time I might take Travel wings.

When you are practicaly naked is it "hard" to find something to snag your bungee on. When looking at the "backplate and wing" discussion and the "bungee cord" discussions I think you need to remember which way you are headed. For me that is warmer and lighter.

In seven weeks in Cozumel I never saw a backplate/wings setup. Could of been there. Never with lycra or 8 lbs of lead. If you're heading colder and darker ,,, lot's of experts out there.

I love my TPII and the people at dive rite have answered my every question.

adios don O

Sternum strap and dry suit.

Plastic buckels on straps (my wife managed to break one so it does happen. DR did replace it no questions).

Plastic screws for attaching wing on the TII. These break and are cheap. Had to replace with SS screws from the hardware store.

Strap on top center to be used for getting height of tank the same each time. It slips and gets in the way all the time.

Plastic cam on bands.

It is not as stable a BP/STA/wing setup.

Very poor choice for doubles.

Need to put inner tube bands on the adjustment straps to keep them from dangling.

Pull dump on the inflator hose.

just my experience........

omar

to the feeling of facing the wild blue under with the OMS Bungeed Wings of Death to back you up. You know you're a man and are in complete control... On top of that, its one of the most comfortable BCs I have ever dove with. It's sorta like a bumblebee... many don't understand how they fly, but they do it quite efficiently. The OMS IQ System: The bumblebee of the underwater tech world.

Yea, I asked Dive Rite about the plastic screws. They're response was along the lines of ",,,, nothing even needed there , the tank holds them together ,,, just for holding them together when you don't have a tank ,,, use wire ties, they're even better and cheaper. " So I guess they're a problem if you need them to be a problem.

The little strap in the way ,,, I guess I didn't notice ,, might of been distracted by something like my reg or mask or some other trauma ,,,

Crotch stap would make it perfect ,,,, and is an option.

Ends of the bungee in the way ,,, yea, if I had the right wing I wouldn't of needed to use the bungee ,,,, so the ends wouldn't of been so long ,,,

I guess I use the bungee as an all or nothing and the all is what I needed cuz the bladder was to big for warm water diving. As my bouyancy contol and weighting became better I used less air and the "bungee need" became greater.

don O

I have used the Transpac II since the day I started diving. I used a Mares Jacket style in the pool a couple times though. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Fits nice. It's light. Cumfy and does everything you need. Just upgraded to doubles and the Transpac II mounted them just fine.

I don't think I would recommened anything but (though I have not tried that much else).

Sternum strap and dry suit. - doesn't interfere on me - we must be different builds.

Plastic buckels on straps (my wife managed to break one so it does happen. DR did replace it no questions). Did she break it on a dive or some other way? Plastic buckles can be broken, and if there's any gripe about the rig this could be one - though I've never seen a broken one myself.

Plastic screws for attaching wing on the TII. These break and are cheap. Had to replace with SS screws from the hardware store. -What screws? My wings are held on by either the tank bolts or the cam bands.

Strap on top center to be used for getting height of tank the same each time. It slips and gets in the way all the time. - doesn't bother me - if it did I'd cut it off.

Plastic cam on bands. - another thing that I've never had a problem with. But there's certainly no reason you can't substitute any kind of cam you desire.

It is not as stable a BP/STA/wing setup. - Huh? I just disagree here.

Very poor choice for doubles. - Disagree strongly - I like it lots with doubles.

Need to put inner tube bands on the adjustment straps to keep them from dangling. - good point.

Pull dump on the inflator hose. - I like that - again, that's easily changed if you don't.

just my experience........
Rick

I just happen to have both.

Dive Rite Transpac ll with Trek wing and a Halcyon backplate with the 27lb wing. Also alot of other stuff for them both. Larger wing for doubles with the Halcyon.
What I originally liked on the Transpac I'm not extremely fond of now. I liked the padded straps and back and waist strap. I thought it made it more comfortable. I liked all the D rings and chest strap. I also have the crotch strap for it.

What owning the Halcyon rig taught me was that the padding is not needed unless I'm diving with just shorts. Which I do in the pool sometimes or when it's a quick jump in and go dive. But then I usually wear a t shirt which means I still don't need the padding. And it has to many d rings. I've never used them all and I've had alot of extra tanks stapped to me. Doubles do tend to shift a little on the Transpac compared to the backplate. Not horribly but it's not as tight as the backplate. I also don't need quick disconnects. They are actually a foolish thing to have. If there is a failure you're kinda screwed. There is no chance of this with the backplate. The transpac just has to much junk on it. Makes a newbie look real tech though. Why have the extra junk if you don't need it.

But I do still dive with both and I do like my Transpac. I just like the Halcyon a little better. And till I dove with the Halcyon for 6 months I liked them equally. Not anymore, the Halcyon gets my vote. Or I should say the backplate and Harness gets my vote. Halcyon does make the best wings out there. But they do cost more.

Oh, Before I used a backplate I thought it would of been the most uncomfortable thing in the world. Who would have thought that a steel plate on your back and unpadded harness material could be so comfortable. And it is more comfortable to dive than the Transpac. I even have a Diverite backplate and harness and use it with the trek wing from the transpac. It doesn't matter what brand, the Backplate and harness is more comfortable. It's like there is nothing on your back. Unless you mount a rec wing and try to use it for a single. Then it's kinda floppy.......

I used to swear that nothing was better than a transpac. I was wrong.

Like I said a lot of small irritants about the Transpac. My wife still dives her Transpac, I don't. I have been diving BP/wings for quite awhile now and wouldn't consider going back.

The buckle was broken during the boat ride out. I didn't see it and don't know what happened.

I still use my jr wings (on a BP) with the pull dump removed. I also have the classic wings with no pull dump and the halcyon 27 lb wing as well.

I do use metal buckles on single tanks after having 2 plastic cams break. This is a common occurrance and Dive Rite indicates that it is usually from not soaking the straps prior to using (as recommended in the owners manual). This was the case for one, but not the other.

Yep we do have different build. I am 6'2" 205 w/48" chest. But my wife also has removed the sternum strap because it interferes with the inflator and hose on her as well.

The screws with inserts that it came with. These were so cheap and failed so often I suspect that they quit using them. It makes it much easier to set up the TII with at least one of these holding the wing to the back pad.

omar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom