Diverite Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing research for months trying to decide on a new BC. I'm fairly certain that I'm interested in the TransPac but I have a couple questions for those of you that use 'em.

1) Do you like it?
2) Is the integrated weight system worth it?
3) Does the inflator dump from a pull (aka shoulder valve)? I hate lifting the host above my head to purge.
4) What size wing do I need if I wear 24lbs of lead?

I know I'm gonna catch some grief from the DIR/OMS/Halcyon addicts (just kidding guys, I have utmost respect) but most of my diving is from shore and, hell, lets face it... all that padding and adjustability is pretty freakin nice when yer climbing stairs, srcambling over rocks, being beaten in the surf, etc.

Don't own one, wish i did, but I have used one on several occasions. And I'll probably own one soon, when I catch him in a bind. :)

Anyway:
  1. Yes, love it!
  2. Absolutely....Although I don't particularly care for the velcro, but it is a huge slap which is a big plus.
  3. Yes
  4. Actually this depends on your overall setup and what you'll be using it for. Single tanks and recreational diving, you'll be fine with a Trek wing. But I like the Rec wing, that's just me. You might also want to pick up a Travel wing for those warm tropical destinations. That's the beauty of the Transpac, it will adapt to fit your needs.

I have had one for a couple of years. I mainly use backplate and wings, but always liked the Transpac II. It is minimalist and comfortable. The weight system is excellent and yes, it works well. It does come with a shoulder dump, which I removed for safety reasons, all you need is a $7 part. I have a travel wing which is good for, uh, travel. I also have a rec wing which I don't use on the Transpac anymore, it's for doubles. The Trek wing seems popular.

One good thing about the transpac is that you can later use the wing on your backplate if and when you get one.

Never used the Transpac with doubles, I prefer the backplate, which is more stable.

My favorite use of the Transpac is on the 4-5 times a year when I am absolutely puking sick of toting all my cave equipment. I like to go down to the scubapark with the Transpac and a Steel 72, no wetsuit, no long hose, and no lights, redundant gear, and maybe my Twin Jets, and just jump in, feeling like I'm wearing only a pair of boxer shorts or something. It's most refreshing for it's minimalism. And swim around doing the happy dance.

Yeah, get one.

Your wing/weight question is not answerable. It depends on what wetsuit, tanks, etc you wear. The Rec or Trek wings will pretty much cover you.

Dave

I use mine with doubles and find it to be snug and stable.
I've never had any problem with the integrated weights, and if I were buying my Transpac today I'd get them again.
I dive the Rec wing with doubles and the travel wing with singles.
Rick

I use the Transpac II with Rec wing (just for singles so far) and integrated weights and love it. Can't add much else to the posts above - just wanted to throw in my two cents. Make sure you hunt around the web for a good price. I was able to get the whole package (BC, wing, integrated weight pockets) delivered to my door for $530.

-Jim

Thanks for all the feedback... sounds like the DiveRite is it. So it sounds like the Rec Wing is the most popular.... I (5'8" 160lbs) dive Aluminum singles, a toasty oniell 7mm wetsuit, and wear 24 lbs. I had heard that I should probably take the Trek cause the Rec was for doubles but that may not be your guy's experience. The guy at the shop said I should probably go Rec.

I also want to buy my wife one (she's 5'2" all of 100lbs). The guy recommended a Rec for her as well!! Can that be right? Aint that a bit much for someone of that size?

Maybe I'm worryin to much about too much lift...... Sure wish there was a golden rule here! How much lift does a regular off-the-shelf jacket BC provide?

If the "Trek" is a new name for the "travel wing" and I were buying two Transpacs, I, personally, would get one of each. My personal experience with the Rec wing and singles is that I tend to trap air on one side and have a lot of irritating off balance time. But then I spend a lot of time head down and rolling around in different positions trying to get the camera into tight spots without touching anything - and because the travel wing has an air channel between sides both fore and aft then head down asymmetircal air trapping isn't a problem with it.
Rick

Hi,
Welcome to the boards.

I really like my Transpac II.
I have the integrated weight system. No problems.
I use the rec wing (only diving singles so far)
I plan on getting a travel wing for Trips.

Make sure you order it the way you want it.
There are a lot of options.

for example I prefer the belt rather than a cumberbun.
also you can get the pads in a two piece or a one piece sport pad.

You can check out all the options on the Dive-rite website Here

On the site they tell you what each wing is designed for (singles. doubles, both)

Let us know how you make out!

I'm going to probably get a few people chasing me around with spear guns, but I'm going to put in a plug for the OMS IQ system and ask that you take a look at that one too.

When doing my research on the difference between the Dive-Rite and OMS, here are some of the differences I found (Tom Vyles and NetDoc, help me out if I forget something). Some are minor, but I consider them sorta important.
  • The Transpac uses a metal buckle for the wast strap while the IQ uses a very hard plastic. With the metal buckle, it's possible to "bend" it so that it may not be safe/useable and could fail at a key point in the dive (aka, the wrong time). With OMS's plastic buckle, either it's in good shape, or it's broken.
  • The D-rings on the IQ are beefier.
  • The harness webbing on the IQ is a bit more substantial than the Transpac's
  • The IQ's backplate can be slipped inside of the back pad and allow you all the uses of that addition without sacrificing comfort.
  • The bungeed wings can make for a more hydrodynamic profile since they tuck a bit tighter against the tank. (If you want to read more or discuss the ups and downs of bungeed wings, please do so in this thread .)
  • For my size (6'00", 195#) the OMS was just a more comfortable fit. Tom Vyles is a bit shorter than I and his fits him very well.
Now guys, please understand that I think the TransPac is a very capable BC. I just want to make sure that all choices are adequately represented/considered. (hmmm...do I see a Halcyon plug coming?)

Regardless of which BC/BP&wings system you select, be sure you are working with a very knowledgeable and competant LDS who is willing to do all they can to ensure you have a good fit, especially swapping out components (shoulders, back, waist bits). If you're spending the cash on this level of a system, by all means get it right the first time.

Oh, and be sure to keep us clued in on what you got and what you think of it.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
If the "Trek" is a new name for the "travel wing" and I were buying two Transpacs, I, personally, would get one of each. My personal experience with the Rec wing and singles is that I tend to trap air on one side and have a lot of irritating off balance time.

No, the Trek is not the same as the travel wing. It's more like the Rec wing, but is claimed to be better for singles and doubles. I have had the same air trapping problem with my rec wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom