DiveRite Hogarthian or basic one piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, im looking to get a new BP/W setup, right now it is the Transpac and the travel EXP wing that i use. I have heard great things about DSS products but they are in California and im in South Florida. My local dive shop is a rep for DiveRite so i prefer to stick with them since there service and DiveRites products are spot on for me. My question is between the Hogarthian harness they have and the basic one piece setup.

Hogarthian:Hogarthian System - Dive Gear Express

Basic:Backplates & Harnesses by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

If anyone has either one of these can you tell me what you think about it, i have heard people say the webbing is to soft, the webbing is perfect, and so on, would like peoples opinion on which one to get.

How snug does a hogarthian harness feel, what i mean is does it keep very firm on your back a backplate and hogarthian harness when diving? thanks all.

Just a guess here but the webbing will more than likely be identical and they will both work on any plate.

The differences will be:

1. The presence of a right hip D-ring on the stanard one piece harness versus the weight belt retainer on the right hip on the hog harness (used to retain the can light)

2. Bent shoulder D-rings on the standard harness versus flat ones on the hog harness.

3. The inclusion of a piece of bungeee to retain the inflator hose on the hog harness

4. The inclusion of a 2" webbing crotch strap on the hog harness that is optional on the stnadard harness.

Personally I am not a big fan of bent D-rings, but I also don't think they will kill people in their sleep. I also like to carry a D-ring on the right hip up close to the plate above/behind the can light as it keeps any jump or gap reels stored there up high preventing danglies and de-conflicts with anything clipped to the left hip D-ring (spg, stage/deco bottles, etc.) Contrary to popular opinion, it does not interfere with long hose deployment.

So it really comes down to adding up the cost of the crotch strap option, weight belt buckle and any D-rings you would want to add or subtract from either harness.

DA Aquamaster how does a Hog harness feel when diving, does it feel snug. no tank shifting while diving, i know you must work with the setup for a few dives before you may get it to feel right, but, i was curious as to how they feel in the water were it counts, thanks.

I have the Hog combination (see my avatar). It feels snug & natural underwater and not really uncomfortable on land. I have done several hundred * rec* dives with it & like it a lot. Since we're in the Tech diving section, I'm not sure if this helps.

I just switched to a hog harness and as mentioned after I got it dialed in - it has little movement in the water.

As far as the DR webbing, I have one DR kit and another OxyCheq kit. The DR kit is much softer for the webbing (however a little stiffer for the crotch strap - but it did have a np sleve) Personally I found the stiffer webbing to be a bit easier to get on and stayed in place better. (that being said - as with many other things my wife feels I am wrong about this and she dives the DR.)

As far as the HOG vs the deluxe, I think much of the deluxe is not necessary (like an extra set of rings) - However I do wonder if I miss the chest strap but that's only because I'd put my hands on my chest while swimming sometimes and it was a place for me to rest my thumbs. But that's not a matter if fit, just some bad habits.

Black1,
Although I live 50 miles from Fill Express they are my LDS for a lot of my gear. Definatly go with the hog rig, much more stable. I concur with the earlier comment with regard to the stiffer webbing as it is much easier to don and shed. I just replaced the softer webbing on my Halcyon single tank rig with the stiffer nylon webbing that Fill Express sells. If you plan on using deco or stage bottles in your diving take a look at these well designed Drings made by Highseas Millworks, formerly Highland Mills, which can be acquired through privateerdivers.com. They are very easy to clip stuff on and do not slide about. Lastly, I just acquired a doubles rig including the Kydex Plate from Tobin at DSS and could not be more pleased with the quality of the equipment and Tobin's incredible customer service.

privateerdivers.com

P.S. How the heck do you establish a hyperlink on this site?

Thanks Valhalla, yes fillexpress guys are great and lots of help when learning about new equipment and all. I did decide on a Kydex backplate and hog harness from DSS through Tobin, great guy and look forward to trying it out. As far as a hyperlink you "right click" in the url section of a webpage (the top were the www. section is) then hit copy then simply right click again in the forum message are were you are writing a message and hit paste, simple.

Just don't leave the kydex plate in the sun in your car in So. FL. It can warp.

Guess I will have to bring it along with me during our post dive rehydration sessions.

How do you like the Kydex BP for S Florida diving rather than the steel? For singles with 3mm full wetsuit. Not sure about the tanks yet, but i think i might be going with a HP100 or 120, and just substitute the weight for trips when i have to use a Al80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom