Diver shoots hand with own spear gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like catching fish on a line. I like shooting them even more.

When line fishing I can only reel in whatever chooses to bite my hook, whether it's something I want of not. Even if I put it back, the fish has been stressed.

With spearing I get to look over what I find & only pull the trigger on exactly the ones that I wish to eat. "Wow! You look delicious! I'm gonna turn YOU into poo!!!", hehehehe :D

I'm going diving anyway. If I'm fortunate to bring back something to eat, that's just a great bonus. Sometimes I bring back nothing at all. Usually I bring back either a few smaller fish, sheepshead, flounder, triggerfish, or one or 2 big ones, grouper, greater amberjack, barracuda, red snapper.

ReefGuy:
Dude, where'd you get your gun? Mine has an effective range of 250 meters, and fires 1 spear every 6 seconds. The magazine holds 20, and was just allowed again with the expiration of the assault weapons law.
04.gif
icosm14.gif

Ok, Reef Guy. You just made my list of favorite ScubaBoarders. The best thing to do with the blantently ignorant is to make fun of them. My last dive was the best of my 20 plus year diving life. I ended up with a nice Amberjack and that just made my day.
icosm14.gif

As for the guy that shot his own hand; I really can't imagine how that could be done with a large band gun. OH, I just imagined it. I still don't know how he did it but I do know it was VERY painful. Best wishes for a quick recovery. What a stud! Getting himself back to the boat after an injury like that.

TwoBitTxn:
Band gun or pneumatic?

TwoBit
Two real ways of impaling yourself with a speargun. Say you shoot a fish and the point is sticking out of the fish and the fish swims the point into you. I shot an amberjack once(in SCUBA Dive America by Jack Mckenney) with the point coming straight out of the fish's head. The fish swam straight up and sank about 1.5" of a brand new tri-cut point into my calf. I know another diver that had an amberjack swim a shaft through a divers foot. Ouch---live fish attached to your foot with steel shaft. Next, and this really is dangerous. Pneumatics are loaded by pushing the shaft in the gun. You have a loader that fits in the palm of your hand that helps you physically push the shaft down the barel. If your hand slips, then you could very easily shoot yourself in the hand. Most pneumatics are placed such that the handle is on top of your foot while loading. If something slips before the gun is completely cocked the spear can fire out and hit something like your hand or GOD FORBID your HEAD. Mid-handle pneumatics were especially prone to slip with people shooting themselves.
Hope this answered some ?'s
Bill

Gargoyle:
The idea of going into the sea with a other divers and a loaded gun is mad. You wouldn't go into a spuermarket with a gun to buy some milk.
Maybe this particular person was trying for the Darwin awards.

Well for the past 25 years I have been carrying my gun into stores everyday to buy milk, groceries, etc. and I don't recall ever shooting at anyone that did not need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom