Diver shoots hand with own spear gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Bands break, Overpowered triggers snap, Spear's bend, Teak fades, but how in the heck you do you shoot your own hand???

Johnoly:
Old Bands break, Overpowered triggers snap, Spear's bend, Teak fades, but how in the heck you do you shoot your own hand???
There was something about his also getting caught up in monofilament. Rather than actually shooting himself, maybe he just managed to poke the spear tip through the web of his hand while maneuvering around and trying to get him and the speargun unhooked. Just a guess.

Reminds me of a converstation with a couple of Australians we ran into in Malaysia.

Something along the lines of "Oh do you scuba dive?", "Oh yes we do too", "Where would you recommend diving in Australia?"

They lived on the coast and the guy was an avid diver. "What sort of stuff do you get in the UK? I always take a B70ZHK with a 15 psi 90 cm compression fitting for the big stuff and a little MKH 40 with dwangle bolts for the little stuff. What kind of spearguns do you carry?"

Err, um, well we don't. If you want fish most people prefer to go out on a boat with a line.

"Yeah, well I like cray fish. The missus has got a freezer full of the things. They're supposed to be protected but there's loads of them. You can get done by the fishing protection guys if they catch you coming up with them. They're always nosing around dive boats trying to catch you. I just stuff them down me suit pants so they can't be seen."

"Oh how interesting" We're British and our stiff upper lips are rock solid.

No, I wouldn't want to be diving round that kind of spear fishing. Spear guns and stuffing things down your pants :11: Could lead to justice for crayfish :D

If they were diving to a Wreck what was he doing with a speargun in the first place. Was he scared a sea monster would get him. Granted I have no problem with people spearfishing, provide they are safe and follow the posted limits. Not sure I wuld want to be in the water with someone who is only for the saftey reasons, but I am sure if I was far enough away it would be fine.

Seriously, you people worried about simply being around someone with one posing a danger, comparing this to hunting on land, your misconcenptions are astounding.

I hunt with a rifle. A 30-06 is easily deadly well past 400 yards.

I hunt with a recurve bow & arrow. These can kill well past 100 yards.

I hunt with a 48 inch speargun. The absolute farthest the speartip can get from me is 17 feet, then the spear reaches the end of the line & stops the shaft. By the time it gets that far it has very little velocity or power left, likely wouldn't even penetrate a fish, much less you.

A speargun in the water is simply not a long range weapon. It isn't, no matter what some goober may have tried to tell you or what you saw in some movie.

Someone worried about diving in 15 meter viz & apparently thought they would be in mortal danger under such limited conditions. Forget about it, we would fight someone to have 15 meter viz. We figure having 20 feet or more to be a good day, 50 feet is excellent, and much over 50 is simply outstanding. After a storm blows through it's not unusual for us to hunt in 10 foot (FEET, not 10 METERS) viz. No one shoots anyone else.

For this guy to have stuck himself required some spectacularly unusual circumstance. Unless it was a very short gun, I don't see how he shot himself. Possibly impaled himself, yes, that I can imagine, but to shoot yourself with one, well, that's something I need more data on before I know what to say about.

Charlie99:
There was something about his also getting caught up in monofilament. Rather than actually shooting himself, maybe he just managed to poke the spear tip through the web of his hand while maneuvering around and trying to get him and the speargun unhooked. Just a guess.

No, the speargun discharged and went through the meat of his palm right below the middle two knuckles. I would bet you're right, though, about trying to manuever around getting freed from the line. Perhaps the line even caught around the trigger and caused the discharge.

Dude, where'd you get your gun? Mine has an effective range of 250 meters, and fires 1 spear every 6 seconds. The magazine holds 20, and was just allowed again with the expiration of the assault weapons law. :D

All I've got to do is take off the 12' TETHER :)

Wayward Son:
Seriously, you people worried about simply being around someone with one posing a danger, comparing this to hunting on land, your misconcenptions are astounding.

I hunt with a rifle. A 30-06 is easily deadly well past 400 yards.

I hunt with a recurve bow & arrow. These can kill well past 100 yards.

I hunt with a 48 inch speargun. The absolute farthest the speartip can get from me is 17 feet, then the spear reaches the end of the line & stops the shaft. By the time it gets that far it has very little velocity or power left, likely wouldn't even penetrate a fish, much less you.

A speargun in the water is simply not a long range weapon. It isn't, no matter what some goober may have tried to tell you or what you saw in some movie.

Someone worried about diving in 15 meter viz & apparently thought they would be in mortal danger under such limited conditions. Forget about it, we would fight someone to have 15 meter viz. We figure having 20 feet or more to be a good day, 50 feet is excellent, and much over 50 is simply outstanding. After a storm blows through it's not unusual for us to hunt in 10 foot (FEET, not 10 METERS) viz. No one shoots anyone else.

For this guy to have stuck himself required some spectacularly unusual circumstance. Unless it was a very short gun, I don't see how he shot himself. Possibly impaled himself, yes, that I can imagine, but to shoot yourself with one, well, that's something I need more data on before I know what to say about.

ReefGuy:
Dude, where'd you get your gun? Mine has an effective range of 250 meters, and fires 1 spear every 6 seconds. The magazine holds 20, and was just allowed again with the expiration of the assault weapons law. :D
:)

MAN, I gots ta getz me one ah dem !!!

Back
Top Bottom