Diver shoots hand with own spear gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Ive never seen a spear gun yet alone dived anywhere with one or on a boat where anyone used one and i hope to keep it that way. They strike me as an all round bad idea.

I second that. would you be playing frisbee in the woods where others were hunting?

Just asking to get hit......

I think spear guns are a bad idea especially with other divers in the water. A couple of months back I saw two divers with spear guns going in to a local dive spot. I thought that in the UK that spear fishing was illegal with scuba gear. I went an asked the coastguard and the police and both of them didn't know. The scary thing is that at best there is only 5m vis and this is a very popular spot with no 'big' fish. It would only take one miss and you could be a kebab! The idea of going into the sea with a other divers and a loaded gun is mad. You wouldn't go into a spuermarket with a gun to buy some milk.
Maybe this particular person was trying for the Darwin awards.

Gargoyle:
I think spear guns are a bad idea especially with other divers in the water. A couple of months back I saw two divers with spear guns going in to a local dive spot. I thought that in the UK that spear fishing was illegal with scuba gear. I went an asked the coastguard and the police and both of them didn't know. The scary thing is that at best there is only 5m vis and this is a very popular spot with no 'big' fish. It would only take one miss and you could be a kebab! The idea of going into the sea with a other divers and a loaded gun is mad. You wouldn't go into a spuermarket with a gun to buy some milk.
Maybe this particular person was trying for the Darwin awards.

Dead right! I think spear guns should be banned, especially with other divers around. I don't trust anyone with a gun If I saw a diver with one I would abhort my dive. It would be interesting to know if most divers would or whether they would simply continue on with their dive?

Spearguns should be banned why? Because you don't like them?

Ringo:
Dead right! I think spear guns should be banned, especially with other divers around. I don't trust anyone with a gun If I saw a diver with one I would abhort my dive. It would be interesting to know if most divers would or whether they would simply continue on with their dive?

I don't have a problem with spear guns and I think they are interesting sport idea. The problem I have is where some of these spear fishers fish. My local dive spot is sheltered with a max depth of 10 to 15m. The biggest fish is a wrasse of about 12 to 24inches. This is hardly a sport but the risk to divers and swimmers is immense. There doesn't seem to be any guidance on the spear guns in the local area and that leads to alot of idiots just buying guns as image thing. I am only talking about my local area and not a worldwide view.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled. When I spearfish, it's either off a private boat, or off a charter that caters to spearfishermen.

I don't think it's appropriate (and probably not productive, either) to spearfish when there's a lot of non-spearfishermen around. Fortunately, a good percentage of gulf divers are also spearfishermen :).

BTW, back to the topic at hand :). No, I haven't heard of this kind of self injury. I imagine it took a lot of work, though.

That's outrageous. Believe it or not, I don't know anyone who would use a diver as a target. And they're spears, not arrows.

bisonduquebec:
I would never ever ever dive while there is a hunter underwater. I am to afraid he would use me as a target. No kidding, have you seen those arrows? These things are killers.

Wayward Son:
When you couple personal dislike with a healthy dose of ignorance, nothing good will result from it.

I cannot agree more. Serious spearfishermen / women are very respectful of the reef, other divers, and the laws. I am not an avid spearfisherman, but I have gone out on hunting trips. It's not so easy as many people may think.

Why does this topic remind me of Forest Gump, and Darwin? One of my first diving toys was a spear poll. Used it a couple of times 30+ years ago when I got it. Somewhere along the line I out grew the need. I understand that others want to hunt, I just don't like being around it, and being exposed as an accidental target. Like deer hunting, shooting yourself, a neat trick with any weapon, or someone else doesn't happen all that often, but occasionally we do hear about the "unfortunate" accidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom