Diver possibly relocating to Southern Texas. Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

This is not exactly a diving thread per se, but since I'm a diver, I'd like to get some feedback from divers. I may be relocating to Texas and would have a choice as to where I live as long as I am near a major airport. I am considering the Austin/San Antonio area since I have been there on business a few times and like it and it's a relatively short hop to Houston or Dallas for international flights. I'm more of an urban kind of guy (art, dining, museums, yada, yada). What's it like to actually live in those areas? Any insights into the diving culture? Good dive shops? Dive clubs? Do you really wear spurs on your booties? :wink:

I appreciate any insight you can provide. I hesitated to post this but I noticed the "What's it like to live in Florida thread?" and decided to go for it!

Best,

jsl

San Antonio and Austin each have different things to offer. So does Dallas and Houston. The weather is different in each place, the predominant culture is different, and the cost of living varies. I can't say much about Austin or San Antonio as I havn't lived in either place. The closest diving to both places are lakes with low to moderate vis at best, but probably a little warmer than Ca.

Austin and San Antonio are both more or less considered central Texas. South Texas is just about anything South of S.A.

TwoBit

Dallas/ Houston has more of the artsy fartsy stuff....since you ask...but living in central Texas Austin/San Antonio is more laid back and you are as you said a short hop to Hou or Dal. I have lived in the DFW area for about 20 yrs and here in the central Texas for about 10 yrs. I really love it here, the hill country is in our backyard and it is really beautiful. If you are more urban minded the big cities may be better for you.

Back
Top Bottom