Diver Passed Away In Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is always something to learn from any incident. However, given the lack of details, there is nothing that can be learnt from what we know about this one.

I've also had my mouth piece come off once, and so there it was in my mouth but not attached to my reg. Certainly there was surprise but I managed to get to my second with no hassle and had everything tightened up once back on shore. That was in still waters and I'd not yet gone deep. This may not be what happened to this diver but it is a reminder to us all to check that our mouth pieces are properly secured and if you discover it's not whilst under, stop, think and act (quickly) to get your second into your mouth. Purge it and breath.

Last edited:
Very sad. I also have dived Shotgun. Looking at it from the surface can look daunting as you can see the ripples on the surface from the current, but we enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely a drift dive though where you are going in one direction in a hurry with no choice, though you could get behind some terrain to block it. At the time I dove it, there was a massive wall of silversides from near the surface down to about 40 feet. There were so many it hampered visibility. At the end, big trevallies suddenly appeared right in front of us out of the cloud of silversides.and I could see that a shark could do the same and we wouldn't know it until it was right there. I recall them telling us to stay to one side as some terrain comes up that you have to go around.

nothing much we can learn from this incident.

I do. Having the backup regulator strapped on to your chest is a good tip. I put mine in the BCD right pocket. I can reach in & pull it out of the pocket in a calm situation. But, when you are in an emergency (panic situation) like a mouthpiece accidentally comes off your primary regulator & your primary regulator flapping around in the water column while you are in the fast moving current, it is nice to just grab the backup regulator that is strapped on your chest & use it.

I've been in the shotgun. It's one of my favorite dive sites in Komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom