Diver panics video clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First one to me looks like standard depth + overexertion leading to CO2, shortness of breath and panic.

Looking on related there are a few other diver panic videos on there some of which could be turned into a good training tool if used correctly.

Looks like another on there linked showing an OOA (diver points frantically at his gauge then grabs reg and bolts). Possibly somewhere in greece given tigullio BCs and Kartellias tanks.

Just a layman's observation, the first one looked like the dive master was poking at something that scared the kid, inducing panic and bolting to the surface. That just happens to be what I see and interperet from the video.

The CO2 panic video is mine.

The Optima diver is me, and the panicked diver is a friend of mine. My friend Laura, shot the video and did not have a quacker - someone else had it, and when I sounded, I instinctively looked. We were out in Jupiter on this day looking for Lemon Sharks.

The panicked diver, we'll call her K, was using a rental wet suit which was far too tight for her. Not only that, but the water temp was frighteningly cold for south Florida at 65, and she later admitted the cold water, and the tight wet suit made her breath very shallow, and this lead to CO2 buildup.

Normally K is a very good diver, with good trim, and never fins with her hands. Her horizontal position alerted me that something was wrong. Hard to tell from the video, but I was trying to get her to stop moving and do some slow deep breathing. Obviously it didn't work and she bolted.

this thread proves my point to most people that diving is more of a mental sport than anything else

Very useful tip there, Rachel. Something I'll watch out for in the future. Going from horizontal to vertical. Getting in the "launch" position.

I descend and ascend horizontal, clear my mask horizontal, maintain very good control of bouyancy. My finning technique does not silt in very silty areas (my buddies do).

Unless I'm helping a buddy in OOA (happens more frequently than I care to admit but I tend to get paired up with newer divers most of the time), then the only time I'm vertical is if I'm dumping air from my wing (my wing has only a left dump valve but not a right so I'd get lopsided) ... Hope I don't get misinterpreted as panic.

On the other hand, I know panic when I see it. Books can't teach it to you adequately enough, but every diver I've seen in panic has been unmistakable. I've helped so many people in panic that I am now actually getting to the point where I can "sense" it coming on in people before it is completely obvious.

I haven't noticed the horizontal to vertical motion yet but most people I've dived with recently are never horizontal to begin with (read: don't have good control of their bouyancy or comfort yet). I seem to have a hard time getting experienced divers to take me (a stranger) so I end up diving with newer divers so I have quite a few stories. Most of them with people on dive 5 or 6 dropping to 120 ft. and that "oh sh#@!" factor kicks in and they freak out. I've had to bring 3 people up in the past 4 months over that one was a chamber run and drowning the other two continued to dive the rest of the day and next on the boat. I don't deep anymore with people I'm not comfortable with.

Less experienced divers are always flailing and bicycling and vertical. After a few dives with a decent diver they'll get the hang of it and start to gain control. It's when I'm diving with someone 100 recent dives and they still aren't distinquishable from someone with 10 that worries me.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sometimes in a strong current I descend in a head first near vertical position to get down quickly. When I'm doing a drift-dive it's more comfortable for me to dive in a near vertical position especially if I want to look around. In shark water you have to look around.

But I do rotate between the horizontal and vertical position in a controlled manner depends on the dive. When I ascend I do it horizontally and vertically and for me it's much more comfortable to do my deco and safety stops in a vertical position. During all of this my bouyancy is under perfect control.

Ive had some free time, so I have been finding some interesting clips.

Heres a small one, poor kid - looks like his nerves were a little overloaded and then
maybe he saw how much air he had left and that put him over the edge. Thank god for good instructors. YouTube - Panic
hi

i forgotten the logic behind this but why is rushing to the surface bad? is it becoz of embolism or something else?

hi

i forgotten the logic behind this but why is rushing to the surface bad? is it becoz of embolism or something else?

If this is a serious post, please get a refresher course before ever venturing into the water as a diver. This is not intended to be harsh but to say that for the safety of yourself and those around you, you need the course to refresh your skills and knowledge.

Sorry forgot to put any answers to your question. Several things can happen from ascending too quickly and one major one is in fact embolisms as you mentioned. Another possibility is lung over expansion if the diver is holding their breath.

If this is a serious post, please get a refresher course before ever venturing into the water as a diver. This is not intended to be harsh but to say that for the safety of yourself and those around you, you need the course to refresh your skills and knowledge.

Sorry forgot to put any answers to your question. Several things can happen from ascending too quickly and one major one is in fact embolisms as you mentioned. Another possibility is lung over expansion if the diver is holding their breath.
it is serious, i havent scuba dive for awhile, dun plan to in the forseeable future till i complete my degree.

Back
Top Bottom