Diver Panic Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that woman was incredibly articulate and intelligent.
What a great example of how bulk open waters don't work.

If she had had a chance to spend some time one on one, skills without 6 others, had someone personal to say come along with me, let's make this happen, I think we would have had a new diver.

She says all the things that a divemaster is supposed to look out for, I suspect it's almost a rigged video.
I don't think she was ready to take a diving class. People really need to want to learn to dive. She said she wasn't even a water person.
If she really wanted to dive then she should have spent time in a pool and learned how to swim, then snorkel, then snorkel in the ocean. After that she would have had an appreciation for the water and not a fear to start with.
This is some of the issue I take with minset of the industry to try and get anybody they can into scuba to try and save their sport. If she would have somehow meraculously made it through her open water portion in more benign conditions would we have had another diver? or another accident waiting to happen?

Sorry to hijack the thread, and BTW builtlikeabulldog great job on the managment. BTW I've had stuff like that happen and got the shakes/nerves afterward. Usually when I spear something big and get into a wrestling match underwater. I have to sit there and really concentrate on getting my bead back. The good news is it gets easier each time.
That wasn't panic, that was residual adrenaline, but you were on the surface so think about that, you were fine.

Back
Top Bottom