Diver Panic @ 135 ft. Rapid Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the temp wasnt an even 50, but in the high fifties, just cant remember an exact number.

Even a temp in the high 50's requires a minimum 2 piece 7 mm wetsuit with cold water gloves, a cold water hood and maybe even neoprene socks, plus cold water boots with open fins.

A 7 mm full steamer wetsuit with a 7 mm core warmer on top is a very versatile way to have a cold water wetsuit that you can wear on it's own or wear the two pieces together. This gives you 14 mm on your core.

Remember that neoprene compresses at depth and compresses more so the more dives you do. You can always let in a little water if you get too warm. You can't do anything about being cold except end the dive. :wink:

A 16 yo new diver panicked at 135 in cold water that he was not properly dressed for & he ignored the ascent rate, I'm shocked.

The instructor should have seen this coming & took steps to prevent it. The young diver would have been much slower on ascent with me attached to him in some way.

Agreed! To allow this to happen without trying to control the diver could very easily have resulted in a dead 16 yr old. And the instructor went back down? WTF! Who was monitoring the kid for signs of DCS, or an overexpansion injury? That instructor never should have left his side unless medics or another trained rescuer was present and attending to the diver. This guy is a menace!

To the OP I dive regularly in a Lake Champlain VT all summer long starting in May and going till Oct.-Nov. In the extreme water temps I was diving a bdl. 7mm. with 5 mm. hood, 5 mm. kevlar gloves (we have zebra muscles), and 3 mm boots (I have hot feet). even with all this and rarely diving past 80' I am far more limited in bottom time then in gas. I dive the majority of the summer in a 5/7 1 piece and occasionally hit temps When I did my NAUI AOW we did not go past 65' although my cert. was to much deeper. I did not feel shortchanged I felt well instructed in procedures and skills with a DM or instructor right there the entire time. No one in the class was stressed, no one was shivering, and no one was left behind.
I am now in the 125 dive range and still consider my self a relative new diver and it took many dives with very skilled mentors till I got to the 100' mark. I have never been all that concerned with cert cards, or max depth. My focus has been on safe fun dives where we plan our dives and dive our plan. If I play my cards right I will have plenty of time to become an old diver. Its just not a race.
I do have a few questions about your first post though if I may.
1) If everyone was to have glow sticks and a light on at all times, where was yours while your hands were stuffed in your arm pits? Your light (especially in dark water) is a much a beacon showing everyone else where you are as it is a way for you to look at the pretty fish. It is going to be way more visible then a green glow stick in the dark. If its not, get a better light.
2) what kind if judgement doe sit show for your instructor to have a 3 mm with liner (just lets more cold water in IMHO) hood and gloves but not make it mandatory for you to do so. That is like a back country ski guide taking clients into avalanche terrain and saying "well I have an avalanche beacon so I will be found no problem. But you dont need one if you dont want one." Your the student what do you know? It is his job as the instructor to know for you plain and simple.
3) Your hands are cold numb and hurting, your head is pounding from the cold you are hyper focused on how much longer you can make it and where are those dam grave markers and Hay whats going on up there. Now add an OOA buddy (very possible for a new diver at 135') can you perform at your peak in the emergency? If you were the diver having an emergency would you want to be helped by someone in your condition at that time? I sure wouldn't? Could you have performed a stuck BC inflator valve and hose disconnect? The conditions being different than you planned is reason enough to call a dive. You can always go back so long as you make it back up! No reason is a bad reason to thumb a dive.
4) what were you going to see at 135' that you would not have seen at 130' or even 125'? The NAUI dive tables give you a MBT of 8 mins. There is no 131' or over because that is now deco diving and in the realm of the dark arts of Tech diving. there is just a lil deeper, or just one more foot. What is so important to see at 130+ feet that 8 mins. is worth it?
5) where were the other instructors/DM's? how were you two the last two left at 135'? How did you not realize that you two were the last two there? Why did you still stop to do a "skill" at 70' when you knew the dive was scrubbed? What was the plan as stated in the pre-dive briefing for an emergency during the dive? Both got lucky that it was not more serous, but it was still an emergency situation.

In any instructor/student relationship, there is an implied level of trust from the student to the instructor. A, the instructor knows what he/she is doing (?) B, instructor knows the requirements & dive site and C, instructor knows my limits and wouldn't place me in harms way. There is also the group-think issue where If everyone else is doing it, I'm certainly not going to cancel (wouldn't look good, don't want to be a wimp). It's that very tninking that gets many students and even experienced divers, into deep ca-ca quickly. I agree, there was some very bad planning on the part of the instructor. I can't speak for SSI but PADI-land, the 135 ft dive is for those certified already, not students. Add to that the improper equipment for the dive and you have a recipie for disaster. Looks like your class got off lucky.

Holy Sh*t.

I dive the PNW in winter and the water is like 58 degrees. In a dry-suit with thermals im near hypothermic after 20 minutes. Taking all the other comments out of the picture, an instructor taking a class in 3mm neoprene under those conditions is reckless to say the least. He was damned lucky nothing permanent happened to the kid or else it would have been criminal.

To the OP, please do not take this as a personal attack, but when you hire a professional to give additional training, you are paying someone to help you develop new skills in a controlled setting. To take new divers into a setting that they are not prepared for should make you question your instructor, not defend him.

A SSI diver with over 200 hundred dives (deep water certified) that would not think about going that deep.

A 16 yo new diver panicked at 135 in cold water that he was not properly dressed for & he ignored the ascent rate, I'm shocked.

The instructor should have seen this coming & took steps to prevent it.

Amen. This Instructor has failed. SSI is a shop-based agency. So there is a Scuba Shop out there that should know this Instructor engaged in this conduct.

Rileybri - I think you are jumping to a conclusion. I'm personally aware of other SSI shops in the state that also go to Jocassee for checkout and training. To accuse the closest one without proof is unfair.

I have to agree with SC. Let's nobody assume it is one shop or the other until the OP has clarified (if they clarify). It is not fair to ANY shop to assume it is them without justification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom