Diver Panic @ 135 ft. Rapid Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wonder about any training/certification involving a friend. Do you get the same level of service as you would from a professional with whom you have no outside relationship? Might some things be allowed to slip, or some standards be a little lax to ensure you pass? Not that the closeness of the relationship has been fully explored nor that it would have any relationship to this incident, just a comment...

Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives or friends, with no regard to merit

Also not saying that it was present here in this case

I always wonder about any training/certification involving a friend. Do you get the same level of service as you would from a professional with whom you have no outside relationship? Might some things be allowed to slip, or some standards be a little lax to ensure you pass? Not that the closeness of the relationship has been fully explored nor that it would have any relationship to this incident, just a comment...

Yeah something can be learned here. Post his name so no one else is put at risk by him! 3mm in 50F water on one's own is one thing. Having an instructor say it's ok for everyone not really knowing them is reckless and stupid. That temp is drysuit temp. And he did not do everything right with the kid who panicked. The right thing would have been to not put him at such risk to begin with. Piss poor judgment at the very least. Negligent would be more like it and that's being generous.

I have to agree with everyone else, this was a training dive, but once the 1st panicked then the other 2 (not certified to that depth) were left alone. With there whole 25 dives of experience.
Yea nothing happened this time, but maybe next time he won't be so lucky.
3mm with no gloves in 50 degree water, NO thanks. I'm no WWW but that is ridiculous.

Hes not a super close friend, he and I have just talked some and became friends through the class. And sorry Jim, wont be posting any names. And the temp wasnt an even 50, but in the high fifties, just cant remember an exact number. As far as gloves go, had I had gloves, my experience would have been better, but had I wished to stay for longer than a couple of minutes, I would have wanted at least a skin under my 3mm.

even if the instructor "gave" you guys ample time to get out of the dive, he or she should have made the decison for you- you arent trained to dive to that depth and it was a violation of standards to do so... sound like negligence to me!!! not exactly the attitude i want from a buddy, a friend, or espcially an instructor...

A skin under a 3mm is still a joke even if it was 59 degrees. Last time I dove wet in water that was 62 in a 6.5 semi dry I was chilled, of course I was down there for 30 minutes, but after that if water is below 70 it's dry suit time.

Maybe I'm just a wuss.

O! I just read something in my original post that I might should clear up. On the ascent, the young diver was the one ignoring the proper ascent rates, but the instructor did follow him up to make sure it was ok. The instructor did NOT take it into his own hands to ignore proper ascent rates, the panicked diver did. Anyway, dont know how anyone took that, just thought id clear it up.

A 16 yo new diver panicked at 135 in cold water that he was not properly dressed for & he ignored the ascent rate, I'm shocked.

The instructor should have seen this coming & took steps to prevent it. The young diver would have been much slower on ascent with me attached to him in some way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom