Diver OCD. Anybody else guilty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So this was my first backplate and wing setup. Took me hours to get it right since like most newbies, I forgot certain D-rings during the lacing and it was either that or I put them the wrong way round. :D After I'd gotten everything dialed in sweeter than saccharin, I started thinking about how nice if the webbing could last for years and years and years and so I started taking almost everything off again and lacing rubber tubing through all the parts that will be rubbing against the slots. There're even webbing slides at the part when they come from the shoulders, go through the diagonal slots and end up as the waist straps. I know the rubber will prevent the webbing from slipping but hey, it's OCD, remember? :D:D:D

20130816_123625.jpg

ps. Feel free to let me know if the rubber tubing's not symmetrical so that I can start the OCDrenaline racing again. :D

Reactions: Doc
Looks like a great idea for pinch piont protection.... but, and there is always a BUT, The nylon will outlast the rubber considering the same exposures. I have done something like this, BUT I used a chlorinated pvc drain hose for pools you can buy at Lowes, which is thin and supple, fits the 2" webbing well and has good abrasion resistance. The rubber will start to leave black marks all over the contact area with your hands clothing as it ages.

With almost all of my dives being boat ones, it's definitely overkill which is why I confessed to OCD.:-D

I just have another sleeve of the same webbing type to run mine through on any rough edge parts. but my BP has all smoothed/rounded edges anyway, so there's no wear and tear happening. I have many many dives on mine, beat it all to crap, and it still looks good as new.

I would think if there's any edges that would cut the harness, it would cut the rubber far more easily. My OCD would say I don't want to water trapped in the rubber tire tubes, though I realize it likely does no harm trapped in there.

On my own BP/W I just made sure there's no sharp edges. I ran the harness through the slots "naked", discarding the sleeves that came with it (OK technically I still have the sleeves, in case I find another use for them).

Isn't part of the attraction of a BP/W (over a jacket-style BC) the fact that when the webbing gets worn out after hundreds of dives it's simple and cheap to replace the webbing?

My OCDness says it's to last longer than ME! :D

A real OCD diver would replace the webbing after every dive. It's life support equipment after all.

Back
Top Bottom