Diver Missing In Qld Australia - Mission Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Search and rescue, waters off Mission Beach
QPS Media on Feb 16, 2016 @ 9:05pm
A search involving multiple agencies will resume at first light for a scuba diver reported missing in waters off Mission Beach.

Around 2.45pm this afternoon, police received information that a 54-year-old man had been part of a group conducting a recreational dive at a popular ship wreck site, but failed to resurface. He was last seen around 1pm.

A marine search conducted by water police and the Coastguard, and an aerial search conducted by a number of aircraft failed to locate the man.

The search was suspended a short time ago due to failing light, but is expected to amplify tomorrow morning.

There is no further information available at this time.

I admit I am a bit confused...

This bulletin from the Queensland police states that there is a diver missing from a popular wreck off Mission Beach. I have dived Mission Beach a number of times and know of no "popular wreck". There is in fact no dive shop in Mission Beach anymore. Hasn't been for years. I suspect this may be a mistake by the police media unit, because the only "popular wreck" in North Qld is the Yongala. And that's about 4 hours drive south of Mission Beach.

Will update as more comes in, as my LDS runs the trips to Yongala.

Further info from the Cairns Post

The 54-year-old local man was last seen at popular dive site the Lady Bowen wreck, 40km southeast of Mission Beach, about 12.30pm yesterday.

Thus my confusion - I wouldn't have said this was a Mission Beach dive. I'd have been going out from Lucinda/Cardwell.

This wreck sits between 32-35m...Not an especially complicated dive IMO, but requires you to keep a good eye on your air consumption and deco.

More updates from Cairns Post...

Missing diver identified: The 54-year-old is the owner of Mission Beach Dunk Island Water Taxis, Steven Foster, known to most locals only as Fozzy.

Weather is good today up here, so hopefully the search is successful.

The last link appears to be 95% about a Pakistani man who died while snorkelling.

Is the Lady Bowen wreck a penetration dive?.

The last link appears to be 95% about a Pakistani man who died while snorkelling.

Agreed

You all know the deal, when you have no information about the news item at hand, write something about a similar subject as though it is about the article. Most people read it with interest and never make comment that it adds no real value to the actual incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom