Diver missing in Port Phillip Bay - Victoria, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This article offers some background on the "dangerous" area: The Rip - Wikipedia

Search underway for missing diver at Victoria's Point Lonsdale
Authorities are searching for a diver who reportedly has not surfaced off the coast of Point Lonsdale, near the Victorian town of Queenscliff.

Emergency crews were called to the reports of the disappearance of a 60-year-old man near Point Lonsdale Point just after 11am.

He reportedly failed to surface from the water, and the search is ongoing.

This article says he was diving with a group who lost sight of him: Diver missing in Port Phillip Bay

Not a lot of detail in the reports. The current inside the bay is quite strong, and most dives are either drift dives or slack water dives. From the tide tables, looks like it was slackwater turning to ebb.

Hopefully they find him.

That section of the bay has a few wall sites that usually start from around 14m deep and incrementally step down to 45m+.

Popular dives for fishlife amongst sponges in the 20m - 35m range, but also for deep courses.

Standard procedure is to jump in just at the start of slack water, dive through slack and the start of the turn, then launch SMBs for the boat to track and collect..

Second (or third) hand info I have obtained suggests he and buddy came to surface, he descended again and they lost sight of him. Not sure what the vis was today? can be very clear to very dirty, but I would have thought reasonable today. I do hope they find him but I am not hopeful given the circumstances.

The dive company Red Boats is quite thorough too.

Hell, another one in Australia. I do not know what is going on, so many deaths in a short period of time.

Source
A man who went missing on a scuba dive near the entrance to Victoria's Port Phillip Bay has been found dead.

The 60-year-old was diving in a group near Lonsdale Wall at Port Phillip heads before the group lost sight of him on Sunday morning.

Police found his body off the coast near Lonsdale Wall about midday on Monday.

His family have been notified and a report is being prepared for the coroner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom