Diver Medical Examiner’s Evaluation for over 45?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry you also are confused by a rather simple form. Try reading the entire form, paying attention to the footnoted explanations, and not jumping around and cherry-picking things you want to complain about.
It is because dive professionals misread this form. Not because of you or me.

As has been said. The form does not require the OP to have a medical. Obviously the liveaboard operator did not read it this way.

Of course I cherry picked parts to make a point.

And if that doesn't apply, you simply need to read further. There is more than one path to "not needed".
Agreed. It appears that the liveaboard didn’t read further.

Agreed. It appears that the liveaboard didn’t read further.
I beg to differ - they may have read the form, understood it and decided for an abundance of caution that everyone needs medical clearance. No one is forced to go on their boat.

I said this upthread, but apparently it needs to be said again: the old medical form required a doctor's signature if there was a Yes answer to any question. The new firm does not. Many operators appear to have policies based on the old form, not the new one.

I said this uptrend, but apparently it needs to be said again: the old medical form required a doctor's signature if there was a Yes answer to any question. The new firm does not. Many operators appear to have policies based on the old form, not the new one.
The form is for training courses. It appears that some Operators are apply the training course form to all dives. Does not really matter what form they are using. They could just say "WE require a medical signoff" and dispense with the form. It appears they are just using it to justify their rules?

Seems to be a situation similar to dive ops blaming their insurance company for requiring AOW certs...

the simplest thing everyone can do is to get a form signed whether you need it or not at your annual physical. As someone noted, some countries and some operators require a medical form all the time.
This^^.
I am now 72. I have never been asked for a medical release, but I have carried one signed by my doctor just in case since I turned 65.

What is an annual physical? I never have seen a doctor, only because I needed a dive medical (because the no no no list is not enough), and a dog attack (which had nothing to do with diving).
Here if you are fit, there is no thing like an annual. Never heard of it here.

What is an annual physical? I never have seen a doctor, only because I needed a dive medical (because the no no no list is not enough), and a dog attack (which had nothing to do with diving).
Here if you are fit, there is no thing like an annual. Never heard of it here.
Just wait untill you join a NOB club ;-)

Just wait untill you join a NOB club ;-)
I am. But that is a doctorvisit specially for diving. If I don't do diving, I won't see a doctor, that is what I mean. (and within NOB it is every 3 years till 50 and only if you are instructor). There is not an annual doctor visit if you are not diving. That is what I mean. I have heard that in some countries you can check your health by a doctor every year. Is that the annual where is talked about here?

I have heard that in some countries you can check your health by a doctor every year. Is that the annual where is talked about here?
I believe so, but actual practice varies widely.

In America, what we call the Baby Boomer generation (now roughly around their 70's+) didn't routinely see physicians unless sick, until they got old and developed chronic health problems, needed routine prescription medications, or were at least at serious risk for problems and needed monitoring (e.g.: blood pressure and cholesterol checks). When they were young, for an apparently healthy young adult to 'go see the doctor' yearly for an annual physical exam 'to make sure' wasn't a thing for many.

I'm Gen. X, in my (not so) early 50's. Aside from required immunizations for school, I didn't routinely see physicians unless I was seriously injured (e.g.: broken bones) or debilitatingly ill (even then, if it seemed a day or so bed rest and my immune system might kick it, maybe not then), other than one summer for allergy shots. Just wasn't a thing. And growing up, I had no idea what a 'well child visit' at a Pediatrician's was (nor did I have a pediatrician).

These days it seems more common for kids to have pediatricians, so they grow up accustomed to 'seeing the doctor' occasionally, but even now, most adults don't. People either being politically correct or talking like it's a norm hoping that'll help it become one sometimes talk like 'your annual physical' is a thing, but it's not.

An elderly-oriented organization called AARP in the U.S. in a 2018 article Is It Okay To Skip Your Annual Physical? said "About one-fifth of U.S. adults get an annual physical."

P.S.: I haven't been following the recommendations for periodic pap smear screening for women, so the rate at which they see physicians might well be higher than for men. Cervical cancer is a terrible thing, especially since often preventable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom