Diver lost - Rockport, Massachusetts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Search on for missing diver in Rockport
As of 8 p.m., Wednesday a scuba diver was missing in the waters off Cathedral Rock.

Police Lt. Mark Schmink said that search crews responded, at 5:15 p.m., to the area of Cathedral Rock near Cathedral Avenue and Green Street after a scuba diver came ashore reporting that his companion diver, an adult male, was missing.

The man told authorities that he was diving with a friend about 150 yards offshore when he lost track of him.

Authorities have not released the names of either man.

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter was on scene along with the Rockport harbormaster and Rockport Fire Department, with crews engaged in an active search and rescue operation.

A Coast Guard helicopter was responding from Cape Cod, and state and regional dive teams were responding to assist.

Additional information will be published as it becomes available.

If they've been searching for him for the last 5 hours to no avail and now suspended the search till tomorrow, that's pretty bad news... Cathedral Rocks s considered by many the most challenging shore dive at Cape Ann in terms of entry and exit, and is also the deepest.

Hmm, there's another thread discussing this and in that thread, it says they found his body and entangled in his flag line.

I'd do a merge but off to airport.

Are you thinking of the diver found off Blue Heron Bridge? The older fellow who was diving with a younger female relative?

Yes, I was. So sorry!!

I'm going to delete my prior post in this thread.
Geez, of all times not to have been paying proper attention.

Cathedral Rocks is indeed very challenging in getting down the rocks from the street to get to the water and the entry and exist from rocks into the water is easiest when high tide and calm seas but is a pain when low tide with wave action. underwater it isn't that of a big deal at all. The deepest part is around 80 feet only (you don't need to go that deep and there isn't much there anyways). The only challenging part there underwater is the lobster pot lines that make it difficult to swim while towing a float/flag. It will be a very difficult dive if the sea conditions are bad, more than 2 - 3 ft high. I won't go in if very low tide or if the sea is high. The clime down and up is just terrible and it is always there regardless of tide and water conditions. I hated the climb ups after the dives especially having to do it several times to lug the equipment back to the car with several opportunities to fall on and in between the rocks.

Sad news. That if I'm not mistaken is the 3rd fatal diving accident at Cape Ann this year, and 4th in the state. I hope they post more details eventually about what could have caused his death.

Back
Top Bottom