Diver lost in cave in Florida/Homossassa...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReddogMP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
40-year-old James Cummins of Inverness is missing after a Sunday afternoon dive on the Homosassa River. He is a dive instructor and was diving with two students. They surfaced about 2:30 p.m. but he did not.

The dive students called for help and the US Coast Guard responded along with the Citrus County Sheriff's Office Dive Team. The three were diving off of a 29-foot boat in a cave on the Homosassa.

Cummins was wearing a black wet suit and a silver colored SCUBA tank.

Search for missing dive instructor from Inverness - Breaking News, Tampa Bay Weather, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota - ABC Action News

Anybody know anymore details...is/was he a Scuba Board Member?

This was posted on another forum this morning:

Missing Diver Recovered by Citrus Co. Dive Team

HOMOSASSA, Fla. - The Citrus County Dive Team recovered the body of James Cummins, 40, of Inverness, Fla., at about 9:30 a.m. today in the Gulf of Mexico in the vicinity of the mouth of the Homosassa River.

The Coast Guard received a call at 2:24 p.m. Sunday from two men reporting that their dive instructor, Cummins, had not resurfaced from a dive.

The three men had been cave diving from a 29-foot vessel in the Gulf of Mexico just offshore of Homosassa. The two students resurfaced after a dive and waited for Cummins to resurface. The men waited 15 minutes and called the Coast Guard.

Please contact the Citrus County Sheriff's Office for any additional updates or information on this case.

That's heartbreaking.

I just got a call from my father who lives in Florida. He said the news reported an instructor left 2 students outside a cave and he entered and never came out. Any other reports out about this? I can't find it on any news sites.

I just got a call from my father who lives in Florida. He said the news reported an instructor left 2 students outside a cave and he entered and never came out. Any other reports out about this? I can't find it on any news sites.

Check out the Florida Conch Divers section under the geographical section of this board.

Hrrmmmm Marine Cave too, that sucks.

Condolensces to his family. Get the training though :/

as usual it's a lot of speculation based on newspapers, TDS, SB and people who have never even dove in the area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom