Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

More thread splits.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...hroughs-down-currents-buddy-teams-groups.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/444913-living-dying-diving.html

This forum is specific to actual accidents and incidents, and this thread is specific to a particular incident. Since no new information has emerged to enlighten our understanding of the events surrounding this tragedy, discussion has wandered. If you get interested in a tangential topic, please create a new thread in an appropriate forum to address it.

Is it just me? It seems things happen when the winds are out of the North...
Currents out of the South, when they meet, down currents? Could this have any merit?
Curious????:confused:

Well, according to the report closest to who might have good solid information - the mother, who I assume got it from her sons who were diving with the missing diver - the missing diver indicated some trouble with her regulator and surfaced alone, never to be seen again. So even though everyone wants to connect currents, especially a down current, according to the best source so far this is simply, diver surfacing alone, nobody knows what happened to her because of buddy separation. More reasonable to suspect-equipment failure, heart attack, air embolism, out of air, drowning once surfaced or foul play.

Mother - Search under way for Utah woman missing in Mexico | ksl.com

Her brothers seem to be the last people to see her alive and I've seen zero news reports of any statements from them. The family seems to be extremely tight lipped about the whole thing, especially the brothers.

Thanks Mike.....
That was modded out, right after I signed on as a supporter again..... Damn...:confused:
I did talk to some people staying at the Hotel Cozumel and diving with Dive Paradise that day.

I'm not sure I would necessarily believe the mother's statement as she is obviously not a diver herself and was not there. However, if this is true, that she signaled she was having equipment issues and was surfacing, where were her brothers? Also this does highlight just how important, especially on a drift dive, having an SMB is, if she did make it to the surface.

Lost diver
On January 17th there was a bit on my local news that mentioned a gal from Utah being lost while on a dive trip in Cozumel. Her name is Tamara Lashlee.
Does anyone know any more info about this? Has she been found? What dive op was she using? Is there already a thread started about this that I could read?
Thanks for any info anyone can share!​

Karen-

I don't know if you are still reading this thread. The mods shut down the "Lost Diver" thread you started. There is very little hard information avialable. Several years ago, I dove in Belize with a guy named Asa Lashlee. He had a sister named Tamara. I have no idea if he was one of the brothers that was diving with her when she went missing. The Belize trip was arranged through the Sport Cove Scuba shop but they have since gone under. Asa (at that time) lived in West Valley. I have managed to lose his e-mail address so I have no way of contacting him. I think another sister has dropped in on this thread and if she is still reading, I would like to convey my condolances.

Art

I'm not sure I would necessarily believe the mother's statement as she is obviously not a diver herself and was not there. However, if this is true, that she signaled she was having equipment issues and was surfacing, where were her brothers? Also this does highlight just how important, especially on a drift dive, having an SMB is, if she did make it to the surface.

Or better:

Also this does highlight just how important, especially on a drift dive, buddy pairs are and not separating is.

[/QUOTE]This is a private matter between the family and Dive Paradise so at this point, I respectfully ask on behalf of the family and DP that everyone stop speculating on the "information" that has been shared in this thread. NONE of it is an accurate representation of any of the facts, even the statement from the DP DM's girlfriend - this DM was NOT on the dive nor was his girlfriend and everything else is hearsay.[/QUOTE]

Just for the record, if you reread my post I said my husband was not on that dive but on another DP boat at that reef during the same time the diver was lost. I also made it clear I was not there. I apologize if it came across differently. I was only relaying what my husband and an instructor at DP told him. Perhaps they just made it all up. My only intention was to share the small amount of information I was told in hopes of creating a discussion to prevent something like this from happening to anyone else. I thought that was the purpose of this thread. From now on I will keep my mouth shut. Continued prayers to the family.

It has been over a year since this occurred. Has any official report that may have facts in it been published?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom