Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...it's unrealistic to expect that all involved are going to come here to involve us in a detailed discussion ....

I agree with you on this point that ScubaBoard is unlikely to get any real details from those involved on that dive boat. After reading some of the ignorant comments made by the "I'm better than you" crowd here, those who were on the boat are unlikely to expose themselves to the ridicule here.

.Those involved I'm sure have much more to ponder than scubaboard. A life was lost, needlessly. Most come here to learn, analyze, and some to second guess. Then there's always the "I was there" crowd....

OldDiver74 said: After reading some of the ignorant comments made by the "I'm better than you" crowd here, those who were on the boat are unlikely to expose themselves to the ridicule here.

From my very limited diving experience, I try to learn from everyone, what to do, and what not to do. No one is better than anyone.

Thanks for sharing your views...... and knowledge...... :goingdown:

...it's unrealistic to expect that all involved are going to come here to involve us in a detailed discussion ....

I agree with you on this point that ScubaBoard is unlikely to get any real details from those involved on that dive boat. After reading some of the ignorant comments made by the "I'm better than you" crowd here, those who were on the boat are unlikely to expose themselves to the ridicule here.

its extremely unlikely that her dive buddy is going to give any details about the dive

I'm not surprised the dive buddies (her brothers, were they?) haven't come to SB, but I am a bit surprised that they apparently haven't given any public interviews. A link to a news item was posted here in which Tamara's mother was quoted, but now that her dive buddies are reportedly back in the US one would think they would speak with the media--that is, unless perhaps lawyers have advised them not to, or something along those lines?

Olddiver74, Darol, Mala and Vondo - Nail on the head!

AS I said in the beginning of this thread "We may never have the facts" and as I've continued to say, we DON'T have the FACTS and this is all speculation - this all remains true. And really, we can analyze and pretend to NEED the facts so that we can prevent a similar tragedy, but the truth is that none of us are really entitled to the facts unless family WANTS to share them.

I can say that I have personally spoken to a member of DP Management, who is also an Instructor, who has been closely involved in dealing with the search efforts, analyyzing what happened on the dive, speaking to both DM's and boat crew on the dive, taking statements from family members on the dive, other divers on the dive, and the search teams.

This is a private matter between the family and Dive Paradise so at this point, I respectfully ask on behalf of the family and DP that everyone stop speculating on the "information" that has been shared in this thread. NONE of it is an accurate representation of any of the facts, even the statement from the DP DM's girlfriend - this DM was NOT on the dive nor was his girlfriend and everything else is hearsay.

There is nothing more to be gained by continuing to speculate on ZERO factual information.

As Darol and others have stated, a life has been lost. This affects everyone involved very deeply - from other divers on board, to the crew and of course family and friends. Please let's respect their wishes and let this discussion rest. My thoughts and prayers remain with all involved.

Olddiver74, Darol, Mala and Vondo - Nail on the head!

AS I said in the beginning of this thread "We may never have the facts" and as I've continued to say, we DON'T have the FACTS and this is all speculation - this all remains true. And really, we can analyze and pretend to NEED the facts so that we can prevent a similar tragedy, but the truth is that none of us are really entitled to the facts unless family WANTS to share them.

I can say that I have personally spoken to a member of DP Management, who is also an Instructor, who has been closely involved in dealing with the search efforts, analyyzing what happened on the dive, speaking to both DM's and boat crew on the dive, taking statements from family members on the dive, other divers on the dive, and the search teams.

This is a private matter between the family and Dive Paradise so at this point, I respectfully ask on behalf of the family and DP that everyone stop speculating on the "information" that has been shared in this thread. NONE of it is an accurate representation of any of the facts, even the statement from the DP DM's girlfriend - this DM was NOT on the dive nor was his girlfriend and everything else is hearsay.

There is nothing more to be gained by continuing to speculate on ZERO factual information.

As Darol and others have stated, a life has been lost. This affects everyone involved very deeply - from other divers on board, to the crew and of course family and friends. Please let's respect their wishes and let this discussion rest. My thoughts and prayers remain with all involved.

so you know that everything we heard was wrong.... even your reporting that her body was found on the beach... and since this is a private matter and none of us know anything about what really happened, the discussion must cease?

We don't need the facts to get some benefit from this discussion. We can still discuss the dangers and options for dealing with swim throughs, the management of down currents, buddy protocols with 3 person teams. and the organization of a group of divers being guided by a DM in Cozumel.

so you know that everything we heard was wrong.... even your reporting that her body was found on the beach... and since this is a private matter and none of us know anything about what really happened, the discussion must cease?

We don't need the facts to get some benefit from this discussion. We can still discuss the dangers and options for dealing with swim throughs, the management of down currents, buddy protocols with 3 person teams. and the organization of a group of divers being guided by a DM in Cozumel.

I have to agree. While I really feel for the family and all involved, just this open dialogue is helping me learn some things I didn't and lead me to read some other threads referenced here.

I agree with awap and dumpsterDiver. There have been suggestions on the cause of the presumed separation of the missing diver from her brothers and/or the group. How to handle any of the possible causes is a POSITIVE for people who need that info.

The Cozumel dive community or one dive shop could create a "course" that new divers can take to help them gain experience with all of the possible but unverified causes discussed above.

If there is another possible cause, that can be added as well. If that means covering generic problems in the main Cozumel forum and eventually distilling it down to a sticky...so be it.

Last edited:

Not that I owe you any explanations - but I didn't say it MUST cease. It was a polite request out of respect on behalf of the family and those involved because none of these theories that have been posed are accurate and they will not be sharing the details with us - nor are they obligated to!

I'll also correct your incorrect information - I DID NOT REPORT OR WRITE THE STORY that her body was found. I was only sharing/relaying information from an article and from the radio which at that point we believed to be true. Furthermore, I was not the first person to "report" that information. Another well respected Instructor and Dive School Coordinator on the island was the first to post the link to the false newspaper article - and others also posted the info - yes, I did come back in and confirm that the article was erroneous and that there was no truth to it.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

I agree with awap and dumpsterDiver. There have been suggestions on the cause of the presumed separation of the missing diver from her brothers and/or the group. How to handle any of the possible causes is a POSITIVE for people who need that info.

The Cozumel dive community or one dive shop could create a "course" that new divers take to help them gain experience with all of the possible but unverified causes discussed above.

If there is another possible cause, that can be added as well. If that means covering generic problems in the main Cozumel forum and eventually distilling it down to a sticky...so be it.

Ron, I respectfully disagree with you. Her brothers have made NO statements - anything coming from them is pure hearsay! AS stated, NONE of the suggestions/theories in this thread or that have been suggested on this forum are accurate.

Sure, continue the discussion under hypothetical theories to learn "what if" - but they won't apply to this case!

I'm out - I am going to bow out of this thread as respect to the family and those involved because there really isn't anything more to say at this point!

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 06:20 PM ----------

Yes, I agree with this point!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom