Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A diver was lost today and searching was still underway when I came up from my second dive. The diver was lost at Palancar Caves. We did our first dive at Palancar Bricks and the current was wonky. We changed direction a couple of times during the dive. Vis wasn't good either, so it is easy to see how it could happen. We went to Tormentos for our second dive...no current and much better Vis.

I would say that the best way that it can end at this point is if they recover a body.

Lets hope for a miracle that they find the diver.

Hope for the best....this shows how quickly things change on a daily or even hourly basis.

we dove Palancar Caves last Tuesday & hardly any current & Tormentos on Sat & the current was ripping. I just about aborted, but the DM saw my difficulty & wild eyes, came and calmed me and assisted descent & the rest of the dive was great.

Awaiting facts on the divers experience level, dive conditions, medical issues, etc.

Awaiting facts on the divers experience level, dive conditions, medical issues, etc.

We may never have that information.

diving on cedar wall for first dive. started off having to kick. at the end of the dive we were swept over the wall at 40ft in less than 10 seconds we were at 82. kept together and reached the surface as a group. took 30 min, 2 sausage deployments and whistle but were picked up.

we were doing our beach stop when the call went out, we searched for 2 hours . we were north of dive site and found out current was heading south.

second dive was non eventful as far as current , actually did not move on safety stop, but swimming with the moray was great.

hope for the best

That's not good. When I came down last year I was there right after a woman had gone missing supposedly swept down the Santa Rosa wall due to the current. I don't know if they ever recovered her body or not. I will admit that is a little startling. This is why it's so important to stay with the group, so if someone gets in trouble others can help out. I'm hoping for a good outcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom