diver killed key biscayne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, basically:

Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway.

Fla. Stat. 327.331(6)

I saw a sail boat crusing between dive boats on Molasses reef once. He may have been slow enough to be legal, but I still called him every name I ever heard in the Marine Corps, and he heard me not 50 ft away.
angry-smiley-005.gif
Idiots. Why do they have to do that?

My prayers to the family on such a tragic event.

But here is my .02.....I saw the news, and the vidoe of said boats and was alittle outraged at both boats. for these reasons. First of all your dive flag should be of legal size, should be flown from the highest unobstructed spot on your boat as to be seen from a 360 area. A radio should have been used to call the other boat and attempt to notify them of divers in the water. A horn or waving your arms to signal, but then again if no one was on the boat as someone stated before, who's to warn anyone.

For the 76' footer. MORON. with a boat that large if you see a boat not moving, you can figure that its anchored. and should give a very WIDE berth. Approaching any boat that smaller than you, you should consider the fact that your wake alone could sink a smaller vessel. Especially while under power and cruising.

I see this event everytime I am at Venice Beach and even here once in awhile diving off of Sanibel. people mistake our dive flags in the water as markers or a perfect spot for U-TURNS. I have marks in my float from being hit by boats and jetski's, as many conchs can attest too, the general boating community have no clue as to what a dive flag is and what they represent.

I hope they find both parties equally at fault as this tragic event in my opinion is the result of poor seamanship on both parties.

DennisS:
Thats what the law says, it's ok to approach at idle speed.

Wow that is scary, maybe they should think about modifying the law. A prop, even at or near idle, could still do serious damage to any person it came in contact with.

I have had very close call and have been hit by boats before. Once I came inches from a prop by an outboard on the Cooper River. I learned not to depend on dive flags alone to keep from being hit. When I hear the whine of a prop I always assume it is overhead and try not to come up or hang below the striking ability of vessels. I know that is not possible with freediving, but you generally hear a boat while it is far away.
Still, no matter what you display flagwise, there are still morons out there with boats that will run you over if given half a chance. I've seen them run completely over the top of anchored boats. Some captains are not maintaining a proper lookout, are impaired or don't see you due to glare, etc.

This is a tragic incident and my condolences to the family and friends of the diver. I had a close call the same day off of Hollywood Beach. I have had so many close calls over the years it amazes me that nothing has been done to better educate boaters to the significance of dive flags. IMHO every marina, boat ramp and marine related store should have informative dive flag posters on their walls.

My condolenscenes to the friends and family of the diver!

This is no doubt a tragic event, the kind that make divers cringe at just the thought.

Complacency is far more likely a factor in this incident than ignorance.

Captains of large expensive vessels are rarely rookies.

The SE coast is a narrow and crowded waterway offshore.

The deceased was a local freediver and an avid spearfisherman. Freedivers often trail marker floats. On the same day a diver in West palm had his float line run over and entangled by a large boat.

I would caution against speculation and blame. The information is second hand and incomplete.

Be careful on the water.

Deep regrets,

Chad

When we were diving out of Palm Beach inlet a few weeks ago, a fishing boat approached and told my wife (who piloted our boat) that they will fish here now. My wife politely told them to get away, since we obviously flew a big dive flag, and had divers in the water. (Yes, they were already so close to our boat that she could communicate simply by talking to them, without any radio.) They refused to leave at first. Only when my wife told them that she would call the coast guard, they cursed and finally went away.

I had several incidents like this. With many "captains", it's not ignorance of the law. They simply ignore the law, because they don't like it if somebody is diving "their" spot.

ONESPEED:
This is a tragic incident and my condolences to the family and friends of the diver. I had a close call the same day off of Hollywood Beach. I have had so many close calls over the years it amazes me that nothing has been done to better educate boaters to the significance of dive flags. IMHO every marina, boat ramp and marine related store should have informative dive flag posters on their walls.
Totally agree! The government isn't going to do this, tho, so whom do we ask...?

I have an idea, and posted it on Supprt/Suggestions sub forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=181134

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom