Diver killed by lightning in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just when you thought it was safe to back in the water... how sad! Many condolences, what a tragedy.

My last ocean dive on June 6 was done after a horrific storm had gone through Pompano Beach; it started to rain between dives and the captain drove us very slowly to the second dive site, hoping that the storm would blow over so he could put us in the water for dive 2. I was sitting up top with him, when a loud crack of thunder and a huge lightening bolt hit the water about 30 yards from where we were! Men cussed, women screamed, it was scary. Fortunately the storm did blow over except for rain and we were able to make a second dive. Holy cow, with all that is against us, it's almost enough to make me wonder why we do it! :huh:

According to Yahoo! News

---------------------------------------------------

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. - Lightning struck a diver's oxygen tank as he surfaced off Florida's Atlantic coast, killing him, authorities said.

The 36-year-old man was diving with three others Sunday off a boat near Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. He had surfaced about 30 feet from the boat when lightning struck his tank, said Deerfield Beach Fire Chief Gary Fernaays.

The other divers struggled to get the man back into the boat and radioed for help, Fernaays said. The victim, whose name was not immediately released, was rushed to the beach, where a rescue crew gave him CPR. He was later pronounced dead at North Broward Medical Center in Pompano Beach.

-----------------------------------------------------

If the article was true I think the lightning was secondary and the Oxygen tank prolly did the job. Gotta love the news media. In all seriousness though, my heart goes out to the family. Such a sad thing to happen, odds cant have been good.

DandyDon:
I skipped a dive last week because of lightening. Glad I did.

What a shame about his death....Was that out in the Gulf that you skipped a dive??..

diver 85:
What a shame on his death....Was that out in the Gulf that you skipped a dive??..
Yep, first dive of the trip.

There as been insufficient research on the effects of lightening on the ocean to draw any real conclusions. The thought is that when lightning hits water it dissipates in all directions. NOAA recommend you stay as deep as possible while a storm passes, and if possible avoid being out there in a storm in the first place.

The diver in this sad accident was unlucky because it appears his tank was the first point of contact when the lightening got to sea level.

DandyDon:
Yep, first dive of the trip.

Only windy for us........showered one time(we were on the edge of a little moving squal) Thursday afternoon for about 5 to 10 minutes during a surface interval...Other than that, partly cloudy to clear........

What is the general consensus?

Comp.Air.Junkie:
What is the general consensus?

i - Avoid diving or being on small boats in thunderstorms

ii - If you do find yourself in the water during a storm, stay as deep as possible.

iii - A direct hit from a lightning bolt is going ruin your day at the very least.

letsgodiving:
i - Avoid diving or being on small boats in thunderstorms

ii - If you do find yourself in the water during a storm, stay as deep as possible.

iii - A direct hit from a lightning bolt is going ruin your day at the very least.

Sometimes you have no choice ie one day we're 32 miles out in the Gulf in my 25' boat & all 'hell' broke lose on the weather--bad thunder, lightning, hard rain.....there is no way to avoid it....I finally decided after that incident that maybe the best solution is to tie up to an oilrig, let out about 150' of roap & drift that far away from the rig, naturally put down all whips, too---let the rig act as a lightning rod.....Could be very loud & scary but I'm thinking it won't get us(the boat).........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom