Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hehehehehe - maybe you should offer the aussie cops your services!

personally i dont think we will be seeing Mr Watson on this side of the hemisphere any time soon -im guessing he will fight the extradition

Based on my experience dealing with an actual scuba fatality, the facts rarely all add up nicely.

The woman's buddy in my case swore that she had released the victim's weightbelt. I know for a fact that her weight belt was still around here and I released it when they were attempting to pull her up onto the dock. I don't know why the buddy swore she had done that, but she might have pulled out a BCD strap and thought that was the victim's weightbelt.

On the other hand I thought there was no blood at all, but multiple of my buddies have mentioned a whole lot of blood. I'm probably misremembering there based on the M.E.s result that death was due to lung barotrauma and probably just because blood doesn't freak me out at all, so I probably just never noticed it (odd that I was right in front of her, unclipping her drysuit hose and releasing her weightbelt as she was dragged out of the water and I don't recall a spot of blood and other people describe the front of her drysuit as being bloody at that time).

I also had the buddy tell me that the accident occured at 10 feet of depth and that they had made a safe ascent up to that point. I heard the buddy repeat that over and over to multiple different rescuers. The buddy still wound up being put on O2 with several people flat-out assuming that the buddy was going to be bent and not bothering to listen what was clearly stated over and over that the accident occured at a depth of 10 feet. People's preconcieved notions of the accident, however, led them to not listen to that and assume the accident occurred at more significant depth and that the dive buddy could be bent.

So you are all trying to take media reports and court documents and try to make 2+2 add up to 4 when I don't think that is remotely possible.
I agree, separate accounts of any chaotic event will not perfectly agree. And yes, of course, media reports are notoriously unreliable, particularly when sensationalists like Nancy Grace are involved. But a jury will eventually be tasked with rendering a verdict based largely on the information that is in those court documents. If it is a futile exercise for us, it is likely futile for them too.

:rofl3:

tonight one of our crap-o-la "news" tv show (a current affair) tonight has "explosive new evidence"

quote: "it was the dive mystery that created headlines... now explosive new evidence, dive rescue or elaberate hoax?"

heheheh - they have a reporter in the water doing a senario

Turns out it was just about Dalton and Neely. It was sort of interesting, but who do you believe? Still, it was hardly fair the dive instructor lost his job because of their "fun and games".

Loved the mask-on-top-of-the-head thing by the "reporter". :rofl3:

it was bullocks... what else do we expect from ACA i suppose

i took the story with a huge grain of salt - it was coming from the dive pro off the boat and although i feel sorry for the guy (afterall, crap happens and innocent or not, he is going to have be dumped right into it) i was sitting there wondering if he had been paid for the story

poor bastard... i really feel for him though because i knew he was going to get hung out to dry for it

That would be me! It was confusing trying to figure out who said what and when about each issue. I have spent a couple of weeks slowly putting this together, I hope it helps.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...on-murder-case-issues-statements-sources.html

Thanks (I think) for that K ... just another 4 pages of posts to read ...grrrrreat.

Seriously .. i looked at doing something similar a little while ago but gave up because it seemed way too difficult for my small brain.

Thanks again

it was bullocks... what else do we expect from ACA i suppose

i took the story with a huge grain of salt - it was coming from the dive pro off the boat and although i feel sorry for the guy (afterall, crap happens and innocent or not, he is going to have be dumped right into it) i was sitting there wondering if he had been paid for the story

poor bastard... i really feel for him though because i knew he was going to get hung out to dry for it

Yes, great reporting :shakehead: Pity there always has to be a scapegoat in these things.

There are a lot of posts on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone read the article in People Magazine on this issue. There is a photo in there showing the wife falling to the seafloor and her husband ascending to the service. There is another diver in the background that appears to be heading towards the wife.
Very interesting article if anyone is interested.

Checked the People Magazine web site, but the story is not posted there. What issue was it?

Checked the People Magazine web site, but the story is not posted there. What issue was it?

It was the same photo you have on your own thread. The photo does not show her husband heading for the surface. They are divers from another boat who happened to be in the area at the same time. I believe the diver swimming towards the woman was a DM from another boat. The other diver was simply posing for the camera, and had no idea what lay beneath him; or the person taking the photo for that matter.

Last edited:
Turns out it was just about Dalton and Neely. It was sort of interesting, but who do you believe? Still, it was hardly fair the dive instructor lost his job because of their "fun and games".

Loved the mask-on-top-of-the-head thing by the "reporter". :rofl3:

Even if I were in Oz, it would take a lot to get me to watch A Current Affair.

However, I am curious about the '...mask-on-top-of-the-head thing...' Care to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom