Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if his defence is as well thought out as his 16 alibis, then I think we can work out the verdict. I'm going to call it the "inverted beeping battery" defence from now on, for whenever someone is clearly full of s**t.

Hmm. What do they say? Trial by media? Okay, I agree, he may not be innocent, but please, don't try him here on a scubaboard forum. That's not it's purpose surely?

Well, what on earth is the purpose of this kind of thread? I don't mean to by cynical, but is it not a 'did he didn't he thread'? What on earth is to be learned from the event? Nothing. Much more to be learned from peoples' discussions of the possible events or sequence thereof. And bringing that to trial? Why sure. Why not? Are we not all bringing our judgment, one way or another? That has to be the ultimate conclusion of such a thread. I certainly haven't learned how to stop a husband killing his wife underwater.

I must agree to disagree; I don't think there's anything to be learnt when we aren't privy to all the evidence.

I think I'll now stay out of this thread.

So many opinions. He may or may not be innocent, but I'll wait for the trial and all the evidence to be presented.

What also concerns me is that these "incidents" may do irreparable damage to people's perception about scuba diving in Queensland. We've had a lot of bad publicity lately, with the two divers being "lost" at sea for 20 hours and now this :(

I don't think diving in Queensland will be hit by adverse publicity as in the end, the dive operators and outfits will be exonerated in this and the "lost at sea" incident. Clearly, what we've seen is greed, stupid divers and the farce that gets generated by tabloid sensationalism in the "lost" case. In this "Murder by Scuba", if the accused is tried and convicted, the public will see that it was a criminally-minded individual who brought this on.

The Yongala is a great dive and a highlight in the diving life of many (including myself).Fortunately, the attention span of the general public is short. I imagine it would take more than a couple of scams and a murder to put divers off.

NBC is doing a show on this story on Monday night.

American scuba diver charged with killing wife - Yahoo! News

Tragic story. I find it fishy that he let his wife sink to the sea floor while he left her to go get help when he allegedly completed a Rescue Diver course. I was taught to keep my eyes on the victim, get them to the surface and then get them on land or boat...not leave them to die. Talk about screwed up. I guess be careful who you pick to be your buddy.

***MOD POST: Merged from Basic Scuba Discussions***

I must agree to disagree; I don't think there's anything to be learnt when we aren't privy to all the evidence.

I think I'll now stay out of this thread.

Welcome to the internet. :D

a 2+ minute accent from 50 foot to "get help" for his dieing wife is evidence enough for me. His comment that he was amazed he didn't get the benz from shooting to the surface like a cork sealed it.

All I will say is that from the link on the Drudgereport site, the wife's parents are quoted as saying that their daughter confided in them about the husband asking her to up her life insurance policy before the honeymoon.

She told her parents about it, then told her husband that she did it, when she really didn't.

The FBI calls that a CLUE.

He may be innocent, but if that quote from the parents is God's Honest Truth then this isn't looking good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom