Diver incident in La Jolla: Dec 20, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Between the stresses of diving and the added complexity and time to rescue, it seems quite reasonable to consider medical issues during a dive as dive-related. That said, it would be nice to keep the numbers separable from issues caused by conditions, equipment or diver error. All you're talking about is statistical analysis, and what's appropriate depends upon how you're going to use the numbers.

I admit to only diving from a boat. Is it normal for middle aged people in CA to initiate a dive in pounding surf?

Generally we find an area that is not 'pounding'. Although at times you end up with more than you bargained for following the dive....

I admit to only diving from a boat. Is it normal for middle aged people in CA to initiate a dive in pounding surf?
I haven't there, but they seem to do it a lot in southern California, and it's cheaper than a boat dive. Also a seems like a lot of work, depending on how close to the water you can park, how well you are set up for gearing up at the vehicle, etc. Doing such on a pickup tailgate in a parking lot in New Mexico with a 50 ft walk to the steps tires me out with 7 mil suit and enough lead to sink with the suit. If they had to walk further, then deal with any surf at all, it'd be challenging for some - would be for me.

I haven't there, but they seem to do it a lot in southern California, and it's cheaper than a boat dive. Also a seems like a lot of work, depending on how close to the water you can park, how well you are set up for gearing up at the vehicle, etc. Doing such on a pickup tailgate in a parking lot in New Mexico with a 50 ft walk to the steps tires me out with 7 mil suit and enough lead to sink with the suit. If they had to walk further, then deal with any surf at all, it'd be challenging for some - would be for me.

I would envision my SAC rate to materially increase after working hard to get to the actual dive. No thanks!

I have done shore dives many times off of La Jolla Shores. The surf can get quite high but for the most part it is managable. You mostly have to walk through the surf and then float on your back to kick out once you are past the surf.
I saw this story on the news on Sunday and they reported the surf was low and the conditions were like glass. The lifeguard they interviewed later that day had his back to the beach and the surf looked very small, between ankle and knee.

Nickole

If it turns out to be a heart attack I bet they will still call it a SCUBA accident because she had gear on. That is the tough thing in our sport, if a golfer has a heart attack and dies it is a heart attach, if a SCUBA diver has a heart attack and dies it is a SCUBA accident. Too bad about both of them. I fell for the families.

Don't fight that "scuba accident" thing too hard. Most life insurance policies have double indemnity for accidents -- which a heart attack is not.

I would envision my SAC rate to materially increase after working hard to get to the actual dive. No thanks!
Also did a few shore dives in Puget Sound. They thot I was a real wimp as it is a lot more work than gearing up on a boat and rolling back; they're used to it there. Eh, they were all younger than me too - maybe concerned.

Quite normal.

At 61, Mrs. Bottomtime dives the rocky entry at Marineland a few times each month and she's not the oldest diver in our group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom