Diver in California Sues for Being Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime:
Not to mention the fact that it was very foggy and he was wearing a full wetsuit and hood. He had a better chance at getting barnacles than cancer. :D
LMAO. That was funny!

[Azza 100 yards is 3/5ths of **** all. If he couldnt swim 100-200 yards, he shouldnt have been in the water.]
Your right but so is being able to check the no box
[Also the law suit, taking photo's of himself and watch, sounds planned to me
really I would do the same if I could that would record the last time he was alive and what time he had been missing at that point.
[He should never of left mommy and daddy's place.]
I do tend to agree.
If you are told not to go outside of the perimeter of the rig, then you dont. Full stop. The crew should have sued him for ignoring instructions.
for what leaving him behind in the water.
I agree proper procedures should have been in place by the boat crew to prevent this
Thats the point it would seem it was not on the DMs side.
[but we all have a duty of care to others and ourselves and it sounds like this chump did nothing to help himself.]
It could be true and that would still not matter as he was doing the BOB for 5hrs

MaxBottomtime:
Since 9/11 the rules have changed for diving the rigs. Divers are required to surface within the perimeter of the rig legs. The boat remains a couple hundred feet upcurrent until a few divers have gathered at the surface. The boat then moves in to around 50 feet of the rig and the divers swim to the boat. The reason Dan drifted out of sight of the boat quickly is because he surfaced 400 feet down current at the edge of the fog. Rather than swimming toward the boat, he figured they would come to him, so he drifted away. Any small effort on his part would have brought him closer to the boat where he would have been seen. At the very least, he could have held his position and got the attention of the workers on the rigs. Since there were still divers in the water (remember, Dan was only underwater for 15-20 minutes) the boat was still there for up to an hour before all other divers were onboard and the ill-fated roll call was taken. Dan had more than ample time to correct his mistakes, but instead decided it was the crew's responsibility to come and get him. Even if the DM hadn't screwed up the roll call, Dan was still somewhere out in the fog and would have been extremely difficult to find. Being left at sea was the Divemaster's fault. Being lost at sea was Dan's.

All divers in the water when Dan comes up 400' down current of the rig, as stated all divers in the water so the boat is 200' up current + the size of the rig its self the distance between Dan and the boat seems to be growing.

cdiver2:
All divers in the water when Dan comes up 400' down current of the rig, as stated all divers in the water so the boat is 200' up current + the size of the rig its self the distance between Dan and the boat seems to be growing.
He said he came up 400 feet away from the boat, not the rigs.

MaxBottomtime He said he came up 400 feet away from the boat, not the rigs
How far would that put the rig ? The other point I need to make is that I feel the Captain is fault free the DM did not do his simple job !!
The question that I would like to ask is, did he not have a dive buddy? And if not, why was he allowed to dive alone?
It seems like it was a loose dive buddy group.

wolf eel:
How far would that put the rigs ? The other point I need to make is that I feel the Captain is fault free the DM did not do his simple job !!

I see where you are coming from but I think this was poor operating procedures from the start.
1/ LDS organized the dive and some people have stated Dan was not experienced enough for this dive. Then why did the LDS tell him he was not experienced enough to do the dive they were doing, do they check log books ask questions or just take the money.

2/ The LDS supplied there own DM. Did the Capt know this DM his experience and the procedures he was going to using. That is the Capt's job or did he just say all aboard give me the money.

3/It has been stated Dan was diving without a buddy...just tagging along with two other divers again why did the DM allow this, a bad procedure.
And as stated the Capt should know what procedures are being used on his boat and agree that they are adequate and the crew qualified to carry out those procedures.

Now lets assume "my" boat had left me and the other boat had not seen me and left the site also. I knew because of the compass and where we were which way land was. I would have swum towards land.]]]]]]]]jbd

Wasn't it established that the currrent prevented him from swim back to land, or the boat? Not sure if I rememeber that correctly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom