Diver Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here it is, Leadweight's diver identification card, ready to go next to your fish ID card:

Typical Tropical:
High end jacket BC with weight integtation. Usually has adjustable fins despite being a warm water boat diver not needing booties. Large console with a computer. Will not wear a hood, even if cold. Snorkel hanging from mask strap. Usually has at least one major danglie. Dreams of a week spent diving without ever touching gear except to put it on, preferably with help.

European Tropical Variety:
Similar to typical tropical except often uses full foot fins with socks. Generally has only an SPG and a wrist mount computer of european manufacture

Photographer:
Looks like typical tropical except stares into a camera most of the time. Ends dive at 36 exposures. Has no idea where his buddy is. Dreams of owning $10,000 more of UW photo gear.

Gadgeteer:
Uses heavy bulky back inflate BC like Ranger or Black Diamond. Adjustable split fins, usually Atomic. Breathes through a high end regulator, often made of titanium and also has an Air 2 or similar device. Air horn. BFK on calf, titanium blade preferred. Mask with pink lenses. Hoseless AI computer plus second computer as backup. Will attempt to wear gloves, even when prohibited. Has other miscelaneous strange gear hanging off D-rings or retractors like self inflating SMB or Spare Air. Extreme cases will have a pony bottle, even on easy reef dives with a buddy. Pony may have a second hoseless computer. Only fills tanks with nitrox and will avoid any dive operation that does not have nitrox. May have a crush on a girl who works for his LDS.

DIR:
Backplate and wings. Usually has Scubapro or Apeks regs with 7' main hose and backup on necklace. No snorkel or danglies. Stainless steel bolt snaps abound. Jetfins with spring straps. Prefers to dive dry. Likes to dive in an overhead enviornment and frog kick. Looks lean and mean in the water. Dreams of JJ, GI3 and the Halcyon catalog.

Rental:
Beat looking basic jacket BC. Large console and separate wrist mount computer. Snorkel fins. Shortie wetsuit. Drops to the bottom like a rock and swims at a 45 degree angle with a bicycle kick. Two or more major danglies. Last in, first out and happy to have 500 psi left. Dives one week a year. Dreams of owning a German luxury car.

Individualist:
Transpac II with travel wing. Good full foot fins. Wrist mount computer. No console, SPG only. No snorkel or danglies. Wetsuit faded from heavy use. Likes warm water. Totally flat trim with spot on bouyancy. Defogs black mask with spit. First one in the water, last one out. Gets yelled at by divemasters for being last one out, despite having 1200 psi (or more) left in an aluminum 80. Has been known to harass DIR divers. Does overheads on occasion. Keeps c-card clipped to passport. Has seriously nasty credit card statements from dive travel. Dreams of being the alpha male in a pod of dolphins.

Like it. Going to print this out and laminate it so I can bring it with me for easy diver ID on dives. So which one are you, Leadweight?

That's good, I love it.

Scott

Somehow I'm guessing you are the individualist ? (The TPII kind of gives it away).

I'm afraid to say I must be a sub-tropical-individualist.

TPII, no weight integration, booties (for shore dives in rough terrain), SPG & depth guage, non AI wrist computer, rarely wear a hood, no danglies and a nasty credit card bill.

BTW I thought you were off on an adventure at the moment ?

Conor once bubbled...
Somehow I'm guessing you are the individualist ? (The TPII kind of gives it away).

BTW I thought you were off on an adventure at the moment ?

I returned from Roatan on Saturday afternoon. Just trying to have some fun on dry land now. Perhaps I can get some webbing to grow between my toes.

I'll have to print off and add it to my fish cards and birding books. I wonder how long it will take me to identify all "species" listed?

:rofL:

Have you got a trip report for Roatan ?

How many of each kind of diver above did you see out there ?

I am still hoping to spend two weeks in Dahab next month (providing the foreign office don't stop us from travelling). Its looking a little concerning at the moment as the prices of flights are almost half what they were last week.

That's great leadweight,

All we need now are some photos. I'm sure by my profile pic that I am a typical tropical diver. Hey I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I'm getting better, i'm buying only black gear from now on.:D

-Crispy

I'm more of an Individualistic Photographer with just a tad of DIR (gasp!) thrown in.

Crispy....you look so charming in your matching black and blue but I would try to harness those hoses! :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom