Diver found dead off Hollywood beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowVizWiz

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
From The Sun Sentinel Website

A diver was found dead this morning, floating about 200 yards from Hollywood beach, police say.
Lifeguards were setting up a junior lifeguard camp at about 8:45 a.m. near Azalea Terrace, when they saw an object floating out in the water.

If you know any info regarding this please contact the authorities.

Diver found dead off Hollywood beach - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

Diver found dead off Hollywood beach

Photos By DAVID SMILEY / dsmiley@MiamiHerald.com
Police are investigating the death of a diver who was found floating in the waters off Hollywood beach, authorities said.

Lifeguards setting up for a junior lifeguard program noticed something floating about 400 yards off the beach near 1301 S. Ocean Dr. just before 9 a.m., said Hollywood Fire Rescue Division Chief Mark Steele.

At least one of the lifeguards rode a personal watercraft out to investigate and found a man in full dive gear floating in the water, he said. The man, believed to be in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hollywood police spokesman Lt. Manny Marino said it appears the diver, whose identity is unknown, may have been in the water about 12 hours.

''It looks like some kind of diving accident or a natural death,'' he said. ''There's no trauma'' to the body.

Marino said Hollywood police have contacted other police agencies in the area to learn if there are any reports of a missing diver, but have not yet heard back.

An autopsy will likely be performed to determine how the man died, he said.

the text:

HOLLYWOOD - A diver was found dead this morning, floating about 200 yards from Hollywood beach, police say.

Lifeguards were setting up a junior lifeguard camp at about 8:45 a.m. near Azalea Terrace, when they saw an object floating out in the water.

They used boards to paddle out, realized the object they saw was a diver in full dive gear and brought him to shore.

Fire-rescue personnel arrived and pronounced the diver dead at the scene.

Police are trying to identify the man, who is described as white and in his 30s. His body had no signs of trauma.

Homicide detectives will await the results of an autopsy, but foul play is not isuspected at this time, police said.

Police have alerted area law enforcement agencies to determine whether anyone has filed a missing-person report for the diver.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 threads merged

Maybe he was one of those Solo Divers....

We simply do not have enough information to speculate on anything yet. It's bad enough the guy is dead and his family and friends will have lost him but let's not start in with the accusations yet. There will be plenty of time for that once the meager and incorrect facts are reported.

i realise some people dive solo but it is risky since our lifesupport is something that not too many of us know how to maintain flawlessly and problems do come up that arnt equipment related ontop of that. When i go surfing, hunting or anything that has a decent risk of injury that someone else could help and keep me from dying i try to have a buddy either just kinda supervising or actually with me. If i dont have a buddy I make arrangements,letting them know where i will be, to call my parents or friend by a certain time just to let them know im ok so they can wait a little after i dont call incase im running late so they can check if they are near by to see if my truck is still there and call cops to let them know something has happened, and they would have the info for where i parked, where i was planning on being... It is sad that this guy died, but if he would have taken some sort of measure police atleast wouldnt be clueless to who he is.
You guys are freaking quick to attack someone on here

my reasons for wondering about air was if he had air, it would be alot more likely he had another problem, heart, stroke, blackout

when i was younger my parents always wanted me to call them and let them know i was ok after doing something and even though i hated it as a kid realise now that if something would happen there wouldnt be hours between the time something happened and people were looking for me or a senario like this guys family will be going through

i realise some people dive solo but it is risky since our lifesupport is something that not too many of us know how to maintain flawlessly and problems do come up that arnt equipment related ontop of that. When i go surfing, hunting or anything that has a decent risk of injury that someone else could help and keep me from dying i try to have a buddy either just kinda supervising or actually with me. If i dont have a buddy I make arrangements,letting them know where i will be, to call my parents or friend by a certain time just to let them know im ok so they can wait a little after i dont call incase im running late so they can check if they are near by to see if my truck is still there and call cops to let them know something has happened, and they would have the info for where i parked, where i was planning on being... It is sad that this guy died, but if he would have taken some sort of measure police atleast wouldnt be clueless to who he is.
You guys are freaking quick to attack someone on here

Not attacking, you're make broad generalizations about an incident you know nothing about, none of us do at this point. Somebody died and you're coming up with scenarios of what happened without having any facts which quite frankly, does more harm than good. The facts will come out, and when they do we can analyze what happened and hopefully all learn from this, assumptions teach us nothing.

Folks, somebody died today, calling people idiots and underqualified divers pretending knowledge aren't going to bring him back. Again, let's wait for the facts to come out, then analyze and learn from this tragedy.

Ok.. so back to the orginal topic....

They estimate he had been dead aprox. 12 hours? That would put him in the water around dusk the previous evening. 12 hours is a long time for someone to be missing, surprised no family or friends reported him missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom