Diver Encounters Great White near Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great White at Molokini.jpgThe great white came to Maui this weekend. Spotted by a buddy of mine on Saturday at Molokini.

Stoked for the divers who got to see the Great White at Molokini. What an amazing experience.

As for a credible source on the other GW.... well, I guess we'll never know. I did feel that a little sensationalism may have been present in the story though. Just an impression - so don't flip out and roast my post! Spearfishing always comes with the risk of sharks. I've been spearfishing here for many years as well. When sharing stories of shark encounters I feel it's important to be careful to avoid the natural urge to assign intent (on the sharks behalf) to behaviors we can't / don't fully understand. If a Great White's intent is to "attack" I doubt that screaming/splashing or a gun strike or two would deter it. I have no experience with Great Whites but have been in the water with numerous reef, Sandbar, Hammer, Galapagos and Tiger sharks when hunting. They often come within feet of me and fellow dive buddies - sometimes trailing slowly and other times making multiple charges but veering at close proximity. Just as many others - I've had to hit a shark with the butt of my gun to deter them - but NEVER felt the need to claim that I was "attacked." The shark(s) are simply instinctively drawn to the scent in the water. As a top of the line predator naturally their behavior will be aggressive and without intimidation. Thankfully, one way or the other the diver in the story was safe. Hopefully this can be digested as nothing more than my opinion. I'm one of many who are very protective of how sharks are viewed in such a time of peril. Many people read posts who don't have knowledge about sharks and I hope the message taken away is always to RESPECT sharks. They don't need to be painted as something to FEAR anymore. Remember that spearfishing is an activity that inherently has the risk of encountering sharks in close proximity IN THE SHARKS habitat where we are guests....

Back
Top Bottom