Diver drowns in guided cenote dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in high school, we went into the auditorium to watch a movie on the dangers of smoking marijuana. The movie was absurd, showing a single smoke leading to almost immediate heroin addiction and death. I was soon in college, where marijuana use was close to universal, at least in the portion of the school community of which I had knowledge. The difference between the reality of what I saw and the absurdity of that movie was so extreme I assumed that the other warnings in that movie had to be equally laughable. I no longer had any believable guidance for the world of drugs. Fortunately, I did enough research with more credible sources to make good decisions.

I recently watched the first part of the PDS series on prohibition and learned that a similar campaign was waged against alcohol consumption. That campaign was ramped up in the years preceding the passage of the prohibition amendment through the new growth of the movie industry, with movie growers being treated to short pieces even more absurd than the marijuana movie I was forced to endure. Some of those films showed people going from their first death to an alcoholic death within 24 hours. Those efforts (especially political moves to get the right people elected) led to prohibition, one of the greatest failures of all time, when alcohol consumption actually increased despite its illegality.

Once people determine that the warnings you have given them are absurd lies, you have no more credibility, and the people whom you warned have no guidance.

Only a few miles from the place where this man died is the island of Cozumel, one of the most popular dive destinations in the world. I cannot estimate how many thousands of divers go through short swim throughs there every year. If there has ever been a single fatality caused by a diver entering one of those swim throughs there (or anywhere else, for that matter), I am not aware of it. That is where I did the majority of my first 150 or so dives. I sought out every swim through I could. I loved them. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to navigate them without making a single touch on the walls, floor, or ceiling. It was obvious from the start that the "no overheads whatsoever!!!" warning was as much a lie as that marijuana movie. That left me for no credible advice regarding the more dangerous overheads.

Here's my beef with this ... why didn't the guide notice he was missing? Cave divers are trained to a higher degree of awareness than recreational divers. They have to be, if they expect to stay alive and maintain the integrity of the team. That's why, in part, cave training is required of these guides. So how does someone go missing? Even if he intentionally wandered off, the guide should've noticed. Perhaps three clients is too many for a single guide. Perhaps having the guide in the lead isn't such a neat idea ... particularly given the circular configuration of this site. None of us have eyes in the back of our heads, after all ... so why not keep the untrained clients in front where you can keep an eye on them?

Perhaps Johnny C has a point that they simply didn't belong there. But the reality is that as long as there's a base of clients, area shops will continue taking them to these places. Is "losing a few" an acceptable marketing strategy? Or shouldn't the local businesses that sell this service re-evaluate how they provide it and take a stab at making some changes to manage the risks better?

Another question ... is this cenote on private property? If so, what does a fatality mean to future access? This gets to the issue of concern for most trained cave divers ... they don't want to lose access to caves because of fatalities to people who don't belong there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So is it safe to say, the problem is that these PADI or any other agency resorts are flat out ignoring the rules every time they take an OW diver into these caverns?
Of course they are. The problem is that there is no such "rule." The only thing a diving agency can do is suggest policy.

I spend part of every winter in South Florida. Every dive operation schedules most of their dives to the many wrecks in the area. They are the chief attraction for divers. A dive operation that just said no to penetrating wrecks like the Tracy would be out of business in no time. Take a look at the first 2 minutes of this video for an idea of what it is like:

The same is true of swim throughs in Cozumel. That is why many people go there. A dive operation that refused to take divers through them would be out of business quickly.

he's not qualified to comment on a cave diving accident because he has neither the training nor experience as a cave diver to provide qualified insight
So, just to be clear: John C. Ratliff is disqualified to do an accident analysis on a cave diving fatality because he's not trained in cave diving. But you are qualified, because you're not trained in accident analyses. Have I got it right?

Storker, it was a cavern diving accident, not a cave diving accident. :)

I believe JohnR is trying to analyze how the cavern dive went so wrong for the man.

So, just to be clear: John C. Ratliff is disqualified to do an accident analysis on a cave diving fatality because he's not trained in cave diving. But you are qualified, because you're not trained in accident analyses. Have I got it right?
Accident analysis related to cave dives is part of cave diver training.

Reactions: oya
Yes, but do you all analyze the accidents by saying "no point in it, the guy shouldn't have been there and that's all the info we need"?

Assigning blame is a different type of analysis, that's what most people seem to want. I'll shorten the process... the system that allows untrained divers in overheads is to blame. People who put profit over safety are to blame. Only having one guide is to blame. The people who come on forums and talk about how great guided cenote dives were on their vacation are to blame.

There is not enough credible information in a news article to determine the specific details of the event and how much the diver who drowned is to blame (beyond being there in the first place). There is no credible info of what he was breathing, if it was tainted, how the equipment performed, etc. I'm sure there is plenty more blame to go around. None of that changes the simple fact that he is dead from diving beyond his training. ☺

Jack hammerhead this forum is not supposed to be about assigning blame.

This thread is about a guy who went on a CAVERN dive. Some of us would like the opportunity to see if we can come up with some scenarios as to why the guy ended up in the cave zone. You're offering some viable scenarios but let's leave the blame out of it, could we try to do that, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cenote dives are to cave diving what Discover dives are to recreational diving ... one can argue endlessly whether they should be conducted at all, but when conducted properly they are reasonably safe and serve a purpose in a recreational activity that would otherwise be too restrictive to survive. Yes, it's a business, and a reality. And in each case it comes with a risk that's primarily due to the "trust me" nature of the dive. Where it generally breaks down is when the dive pro does not provide adequate supervision over the clients ... whether it be by a violation of rules and standards, or simply because the nature of the clients (ignorance) makes them behave in ways that the supervisor doesn't predict.

The reality in both cases ... despite the objections of those who say they shouldn't be conducted at all ... is that they ain't going away. "Just say no" simply isn't an option. History has demonstrated over and over again that prohibitions don't work ... ultimately people find a way around them, and usually it just makes the activity in question more expensive and more dangerous. Much better to understand the nature of the risks and take reasonable steps to manage them to keep the inevitable casualties to a minimum. Another reality is that even with training, some people die. You can't make any activity 100% safe ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom