Diver dies on French Reef (Keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In one of my first dives I surfaced a ways from our boat. I swam (against a strong current). It wasn't very far (in my opinion) but I was given a very stern talking to afterwards by my DM telling me to always wait for the boat. It's a lesson I won't forget and this thread has really reinforced it for me.

As a new diver I find these threads invaluable. Like others have said already, I'm learning a lot by reading and running through the scenarios in my mind. I appreciate everyone's analysis of the dive and what can be done to prevent future problems for us all. These boards have probably saved many lives. THANK YOU!

I would second the suggestion to practice, practice, before it is needed. I took a nice dive today in New Hampshire. I am still learning about my new wrist computer, but also took the opportunity to "shoot a bag". I am still learning, but getting faster everytime. I personally carry all of the above - dive alert, SMB, SS, dive light, and will probably add the white trashbag on my next trip. I would like to see what it looks like at night. I am not diving for another three weeks, but will try to post some pics of night time flashlight, and flashlight in the bag. It might be "illuminating" LOL.

Bob

No worries, it was a boneheaded thing to think about. That is why I am grateful to this forum for giving me smacks in the head when I deserve them. :D

It took me several days to learn to deploy- after packing it- practice at any opportunity- good luck

oh yeah - I never thought about taking my huge yellow fins off and waving them out of the water if I needed someone to find me. I suspect they would show up well. I had never heard that before.

I agree- great advice

Most night air searches are carried out with thermal imaging so of course they'll search for you if you don't have a torch. I cant see why anyone would choose to dive anywhere at all without at least a small backup torch.

Also this is looking more like a non-diving fatality that happened to occur in the water. No mention of DSMBs or flags.

Its also a big reason why i HATE permanently moored or anchored boats and dont think they're safe.

Moored boats have been the norm for most of my diving and we try to learn to be able to find the mooring line at the same place we left it on the dive.

Wow - I was trying to do individual thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas, but it was too much to thank practically every entry. To be honest, another bad habit I'm developing is getting into a panic if I surface too far from the dive boat. I'm empowering myself with all of these great ideas and nipping this bad attitude in the bud right away! Panic kills! I was lucky to have a friend that recommended that I join ScubaBoard.com as one of the best ways to learn more about diving.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victim.

Moored boats have been the norm for most of my diving and we try to learn to be able to find the mooring line at the same place we left it on the dive.

Nothing to do with crap navigation. Quite often it can involve needless effort against a current thereby shortening a dive or as in this case a strong effort swimming which could have attributed to it.

Also a moored boat is completely unable to respond to a diver in distress in a timely fashion and is far easier to lose divers in currents due to not being able to follow.

Its also a big reason why i HATE permanently moored or anchored boats and dont think they're safe.

I am with you on that one.

In general a drift dive with the current, with the DM or INS towing a surface marker bouy and a following boat is a much safer option for most all ocean conditions.

Navigation was partly the issue here, and had the boat been following instead of anchored, the divers coulld have surfaced and floated comfortably back to the boat with no stress.

Moored boats put the onus (and some will say "stress") on the diver to return to the boat, a following boat removes this concern, and would almost certainly have prevented this particular fatality.

The Key Largo reefs are not drift dives, though, so following the divers is not always practical. When people dive here they do not typically stay together as one big group and follow the DM. There's just too much to see and everyone usually wants to do their own thing. I think if you are a new diver and don't feel comfortable with navigation yet, then you should buddy with some more experienced divers or request a DM to go with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom