Diver dies on French Reef (Keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, i'm missing something here. Are you being a good diver and picking up trash as you dive? Lol. Racking my brain trying to figure out how it could be used in diving.

I guess I need to go back and re-read some threads.

Kenny

You and I both brotha. :confused:

I guess if your BC failed you could use it as a make shift lift bag of some sort. Short of cinching it over one's head and pulling the strings to entertain the fish i'm at loss. One puffer fish say's to the other - look there's a puffer diver.

Ok, back on topic.

Kenny

OK, i'm missing something here. Are you being a good diver and picking up trash as you dive? Lol. Racking my brain trying to figure out how it could be used in diving.

Kenny

A BIG white object next to you can't hurt with someone (overhead) spotting you vs blue water all around you......(It's for observers to help spot you 'drifting along')----folded up to about a 4"X4" square takes up next to no room in a pocket & adds very little (+) bouyancy to your rig......

I was recently told and i don't know if this is true, although if someone here knows please confirm this that you should always carry a light and that at least one person on the boat should know you have it ,because if it come to the point that you need the coast guard to come get you they will not do a night search if you do not have a light on you if anyone can confirm this it would be great thanks

In fact, thanks to DD, I now carry one of these in a BC pocket-----can't hurt & is VERY cheap insurance, if it works...lol...
SgBjiMn4P41hGkNVGwtDflpaZnIqQ0ZJSYGVvn55ebleakFiZU5qcXFmXrJecn6uvk9iemJxcaqRiUF8om6avrOPv7mBsaGxnleAOwMA
Like most of my best ideas, I stole that one - here on A&I. See this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/212059-missing-divers-found-safe-sound.html post 16 where the boat operator and husband of one of the missing divers suggests them.

Kenny
One fits in the tiny pocket on my Oceanic Probe BC too small for hardly anything else, but can be inflated at night like a white SMB with dive light shinning into or just allowed to float aside you in day for a plane to see. As cheap and sturday as they are, carry one for a trip - then use it for dirty clothes packing or as a kitchen trash bag when you get home. I carry it in addition to the orange sausage, not instead of.

Actually, the bags greatest value is at night. So many of our signaling devices are dependant upon daylight. Small flash lights get lost in the sea like SMB's do in waves. BUT, put a little air in the bag and shine your light at the bottom of it....you have just increased your light profile by huge amounts with one small light and a plastic bag.

(DandyDon and I posted at the same time)

A BIG white object next to you can't hurt with someone (overhead) spotting you vs blue water all around you......(It's for observers to help spot you 'drifting along')----folded up to about a 4"X4" square takes up next to no room in a pocket & adds very little (+) bouyancy to your rig......

Any fatality is one too many in my opinion, but there really dos appear to be a series of issues here, the biggest been they surfaced downcurrent and seemingly no body on board saw them.

I think we can safely assume their physical fitness levels were not sufficient for the difficult activity of swimming upcurrent and these facts coupled with an almost certain high level of anxiety or outright panic could only cause the incident to spiral out of control.

DD - I will be adding a bag to my BCD pocket - what a great idea. I learn something new every time I am on here...

I was recently told and i don't know if this is true, although if someone here knows please confirm this that you should always carry a light and that at least one person on the boat should know you have it ,because if it come to the point that you need the coast guard to come get you they will not do a night search if you do not have a light on you if anyone can confirm this it would be great thanks

CG/other rescue services searches are not dependent upon knowledge that the missing party has a light, they will still look for you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom