Diver dies on French Reef (Keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as a side point, on my local forum we were discussing smb/rescue streamers ect and one of the presenters from our OzTek 09 expo stated

"Weve been doing some intensive experiments on this very subject up here in Townsville over the last year or so. Developing some new techniques which I hope to discuss at OZtek this coming March. One thing that has been consistent in our experiments is that at ranges of 1000 metres or more [horizontally across the water]you might as well think about packing your 1.4m SMB back into your backplate for all the good its going to do you"

refer: Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - Surface marker-Rescue Streamer, what do you think?

we've already got our tickets for OzTek and this talk will be interesting

michrob, thanks for your post... While we may never know, would be surprised if they had much air in their tanks.

Sad when a tragedy like this happens, but a sudden death while attempting to swim back to a boat is the real issue....I've been on a boat in the keys that took almost 45 minutes to find some divers...a lot farther from the boat that that.. but they were all still fine.

My son and I were on the boat when this incident happened. The report mentioned above from the Miami Herald is very accurate. Some details as we saw them. This accident happened at the end of the second dive, at French Reef. There was a fairly strong wind, and 2 - 3 foot waves. There WAS a slight current. The boat was moored downwind and current from the reef. The pre dive briefing was very clear - swim to the reef, stay in that area, make a surface boat check after 30 minutes if unsure where the boat was (reef was 30 to 40 ft). We were told that this dive was one hour maximum. The captain and one crew member stayed on the boat.
My son and I entered the water at around 3:05. After 30 mins, I surfaced, a little unsure where the boat was, and to my surprise, saw that we were around 100 yards behind it. I then descended to my son, and we made our way back to the boat, re boarding at around 4:00. I think another group followed us after that.
At the hour mark, around 4:05, the crew counted all passengers, and found two missing. I've dived in the Keys many times, and this is hardly unusual. Divers are often five or ten minutes late. At hour mark, the captain and crew (there was another instructor who had dived) immediately began looking for the missing divers. After a short time, all passengers joined in in earnest. As stated in the Miami Herald article, the sun was low in the sky, and made searching in that direction almost impossible. EVERYONE on board scanned the sea in all directions for around 20 minutes, but with no success. The captain then notified the US Coast Guard (probably around 4:25 / 4:30)
By coincidence, a boat from the Florida Wildlife and Fisheries was nearby, although still 20 minutes away. When he arrived he immediately searched the area down wind / current of the boat, with no success. He then did a complete circle of the area, again finding nothing. With the Coast Guard boat minutes away (they came from Islamorada), he tried another sweep down wind of the boat, where on the third pass he found the divers. Unfortunately the lady had not survived. The Fisheries officer estimated (using his GPS) that they were well over half a mile from the moored dive boat, directly in line with the setting sun. It was an area that all on board had focussed on when looking for the divers.

Talking to the surviving diver on the ride back to shore, he stated that they had indeed surfaced some distance behind the dive boat, and had attempted to swim back. I'm guessing that this must have been at the end of their dive - he didn't state how long they had been down, or if they still had air. After some time, they had split up, and when he looked back, the female was not moving. He then returned to her, found that she had stopped breathing, and waited with her for rescue.

As many people have said, there are lessons to be learned from this accident. A scuba sausage would have helped. A whistle may have (not sure if they had rental gear - we did, and a whistle was attached). And as stated in the previous post, relaxing on the surface and inflating your BC would have been better that trying to swim back to the boat. I don't want to second guess the divers who were lost - who knows what was going through their minds? I know that my son and I are very fortunate - thanks to checking our location, we realized we were in the wrong spot, and managed to safely make our way back to the boat. We could easily have been in their place.

One last comment - the crew did everything that they could, and were professional and compassionate. This was an awful accident, which may have been avoidable given a few things going differently. Let's learn from this, and hopefully some good will come of it.

Our thoughts are with the lady's family and friends.

Thank-you for clarifying what happened. It must have been upsetting for everyone aboard. You summed it up clearly, respectfully and without being dramatic.

DD - I agree that the lack of signaling devices may well have been the single critical element that turned events deadly. But I do expect a dive crew to reliably follow a more pro-active protocol than you have described.

Regarding my judgemental assertion (by the way I'd be happy to make my assertions non-judgemental if you could show me how ;-) ) - look, please - I'm not looking to be made a straw man here. Subsequent reporting of the event shows the first report wasn't accurate (accepting the subsequent reporting as more factual than the first). The first of those follow-up reports was posted some time ago, discussion-wise, following which I hope it was clear I was addressing the (now) hypothetical circumstances as I described them. I don't know how much more I can do to convince you I meant to have a discussion about expected roles, not to indict the actual crew.

Better diving,
Mike

I think you've stretched a bit yourself, if I may be so bold as to challenge one of the venerables, and overstated the severity of the challenge. I'd be happy to take a dinner or two-tank dive off of you (by your leave of course) if you'd care to participate in a real world lab experiment: 2 divers, full scuba gear, 100 yds, 2-3 ft seas, suitable wind chop, 30 minutes. I bet I've got just the blind luck to find them - and my eyes are very good, but sadly not super-human. If we're talking at cross-hypotheticals I apologize, I took your reply to be responsive to mine.

Better diving,
Mike

A lot of you that are posting I feel don't understand Keys diving.
If you are unable to make it back to your boat relax, inflate your BC and wait for rescue.Floating in the water for a hour will not kill you, panic will.

At the risk of getting an (I hope) undeserved reputation as a gadfly, I have to point out that indeed, it almost did kill the second diver, given the conditions. To what extent it sealed the fate of the first one is yet to be determined, from what I can tell.

I really have a hard time swallowing that this is SOP, but live and learn.

So why is it that boats don't deploy drift lines under conditions where divers can't swim against the seas? It seems like a simple and effective aid, one I deploy (private boats) almost w/o fail.

Better diving,
Mike

DD - I agree that the lack of signaling devices may well have been the single critical element that turned events deadly. But I do expect a dive crew to reliably follow a more pro-active protocol than you have described.

Regarding my judgemental assertion (by the way I'd be happy to make my assertions non-judgemental if you could show me how ;-) ) - look, please - I'm not looking to be made a straw man here. Subsequent reporting of the event shows the first report wasn't accurate (accepting the subsequent reporting as more factual than the first). The first of those follow-up reports was posted some time ago, discussion-wise, following which I hope it was clear I was addressing the (now) hypothetical circumstances as I described them. I don't know how much more I can do to convince you I meant to have a discussion about expected roles, not to indict the actual crew.

Better diving,
Mike
I don't know the operator at all, but it sounds like they did a good job under the circumstances. When I've dived Calf Channel Islands, we did not have crew in the water but had plenty watching as we were allowed to swim wherever we chose - and I did have a one swim a line out to me once at Catalina. We'd drifted in current that we'd never noticed about 100 yard down, but he was waiting for us when we surface; I was amazed. In other places I've dived around North America I've seen a variety of approaches, and in the Keys you have a variety - but price competition for tourists is tight so cheaper approaches are common, whether that applies here or not?

The divers were told to stay on the reef in front of the boat, but the one who reported here said they found themselves down wind and recovered. I don't know how that happened, I wasn't there, but apparently it happened to several - something surprising about the water and/or underwater terrain? I try to watch my compass, but it's certainly happened to me in places.

I don't know but my best speculation is that a couple of newbies perhaps (this is all perhaps) got on a cheap bid charter with minimum rental gear, ignored the briefing, got in trouble without signaling tools other than cheap whistles that cannot be heard 100 yards downwind, panicked enough to forget any possible training or briefing they may have heard, and it went badly. True or not, a few suggestions to any here to learn...
  • Dive briefings are life and death matters; pay attention, take notes on your slate;
  • Dive Alert whistles and Storm whistles are well worth the money, as are mirrors, sausages, dive lights even on day dives, etc - and carry them all always, unlike a couple I know here who got lost with theirs on the boat;
  • When caca happens, stop, think, act calmly without pushing yourself into disaster. A floating live diver is easier to save than a swimmer who drowns, has an attack, whatever.
I think you've stretched a bit yourself, if I may be so bold as to challenge one of the venerables, and overstated the severity of the challenge. I'd be happy to take a dinner or two-tank dive off of you (by your leave of course) if you'd care to participate in a real world lab experiment: 2 divers, full scuba gear, 100 yds, 2-3 ft seas, suitable wind chop, 30 minutes. I bet I've got just the blind luck to find them - and my eyes are very good, but sadly not super-human. If we're talking at cross-hypotheticals I apologize, I took your reply to be responsive to mine.

Better diving,
Mike
You didn't Multi-quote or say who you were talking to, but it was late in the day and the wind blew them into the low sun.
At the risk of getting an (I hope) undeserved reputation as a gadfly, I have to point out that indeed, it almost did kill the second diver, given the conditions. To what extent it sealed the fate of the first one is yet to be determined, from what I can tell.

I really have a hard time swallowing that this is SOP, but live and learn.

So why is it that boats don't deploy drift lines under conditions where divers can't swim against the seas? It seems like a simple and effective aid, one I deploy (private boats) almost w/o fail.

Better diving,
Mike
Oh drift lines are often deployed in some situations in the Keys, but not 100-200 yards out that I have ever seen anywhere. More common on wrecks there as they are sunk in deeper water with more likelihood of currents so it is common to catch the drift line on entry, then pull up to, along and in front of the boat on lines. Just not common on shallow reefs with little or no current and heavy boat populations.

... if you'd care to participate in a real world lab experiment: 2 divers, full scuba gear, 100 yds, 2-3 ft seas, suitable wind chop, 30 minutes. I bet I've got just the blind luck to find them...
michrob:
the sun was low in the sky, and made searching in that direction almost impossible.
Betcha couldn't, even knowing they were out there.
Rick

Better diving,
Mike

Because drift/tag lines 100-200 yards long would quickly end up being less than 30 yards long in the Keys due to other boats chopping them up with their props.

spoolin01:
I agree that the lack of signaling devices may well have been the single critical element that turned events deadly.

Getting down current was the biggest mistake. Not having signaling devices might have saved them after they screwed up.

spoolin01:
So why is it that boats don't deploy drift lines under conditions where divers can't swim against the seas?

Most boats in the Keys do deploy current lines when moored where there is current. I don't believe they usually let out 100 yds of line.

BTW, you won't be looking for two SCUBA divers in full gear at 100 yds. You'll be looking for two heads at 100 yds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom